C or E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

graeme81

Car
Pending
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and I'm looking to buy my first MB within the next few months.
I'm thinking of the Coupé but can't decide on the E or C Class. Both seem to have their merits so just wanted to get the opinions of those of you who live with these cars every day.
I'll go for the petrol (1.6 or 1.8) engine as I really don't cover enough miles for a modern Diesel and like the look of the AMG models around 2012/13 and the C63 is a step too far :)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Graeme
Kent

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and I'm looking to buy my first MB within the next few months.
I'm thinking of the Coupé but can't decide on the E or C Class. Both seem to have their merits so just wanted to get the opinions of those of you who live with these cars every day.
I'll go for the petrol (1.6 or 1.8) engine as I really don't cover enough miles for a modern Diesel and like the look of the AMG models around 2012/13 and the C63 is a step too far :)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Graeme
Kent

I've had a c class saloon and e class coupe. Even though a are both based the same chassis the e class just feels more grown up. The ride is much better even on sports suspension and (i know your looking at petrol) the 220d engine in the e is much quieter than in the c class.
I also always had a problem getting properly comfortable in The c class and sometimes ended up with a pain in my left leg, something I have not suffered with in the e.

Last edited:
First question: What do you want to do with it?

What kind of journeys / where / how far / how many people & what size?

How do you prioritise luxury and size of an E vs the cheaper/younger/smaller C ?

What kind of journeys / where / how far / how many people & what size?

How do you prioritise luxury and size of an E vs the cheaper/younger/smaller C ?
My c class was last shape, sorry didn't realise you were talking about the new one.
Have done a 600 mile round trip with 4 adults in the e class but I had to drive with my seat further forward than normal but my passengers said it was comfortable enough in the back. Not sure I would have wanted to be in back for that long.
I do a 70 mile round trip to work and back daily but that's just one up. Also did 2000 miles over 2 weeks with a road trip to Scotland. Would have been ok but my wife took enough clothing for about 6 weeks so by time we came back the car was bursting at the seams.

If you are comparing the current model C class coupe - let's say a AMG line 250d vs the current E class AMG line coupe then you're not comparing like with like in my opinion as the C class has been updated. Having had both, the much newer C coupe handles better, and has a much nicer interior, The current E class coupe is quite out of date now and is on run out before the new model is introduced. If the new W213 E class saloon is anything to go by, the coupe version should be excellent.

I guess it comes down to which versions (and years) of which cars you are comparing.

Thanks for the replies and info everyone.
I think it won't really matter about number of passengers as in 99% of the cases, it will just be 2 of us. I wanted the Coupe for the reason that Mark mentions.... excess baggage carried when holidaying :)

Most of miles are going to be around the local area really with the odd long trip once or twice a year. My wife is going for an SLK so we wanted cruiser for the everyday shopping trips etc.

I'm looking at a budget of around £14k which seems to equate to a 2012/13 C Class or slightly older E. Both look to be very well equipped and drive nicely.

I guess in the end, it's a case of lining them both up and taking them out for a spin to see which one I prefer.

One last thing though, does the standard fit ICE allow connectivity to a smart phone for streaming music (bluetooth or hardwire)?

Thanks again for the feedback.
Cheers

The essence of Consultancy.

Straightforward assignment: Ask a few questions. Let the client answer those questions and he'll formulate the answer for himself.

Job done. Invoice in the post ;-)

But seriously, internet chat is helpful, but nothing can beat the experience of sitting in a car which you could actually buy.

Had a 14 plate e class coupe,fab looking car,drove and rode fab.

So yesterday, I finally picked up my white C180 on a 2012 plate. Love it. Looking forward to working out how all the buttons work [emoji1]

Any goodies/extras?

Any goodies/extras?

I'm not really sure what is standard as there seems to be lots of different builds.
It does have the panoramic sunroof and Becker MapPilot, other than that, pretty standard I think. Very nice though [emoji4]

What model - e.g. Executive SE, AMG Line Sport Plus, etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom