C111

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsorrel

MB Enthusiast
Car
'21 C300 Coupe, '20 SLC Final Edition, Peugeot 208 (hers!) and a new Ford Kuga in Russia
To me, the coolest Mercedes of them all :)

c111_shed_front2b.jpg

Can you just imagine them designing that today......

Yeah, everyone on here would be moaning "It isn't a W124 so I don't like it!!" ;)

mercedesC111.jpg

And a rare picture of the 3/4 rotor ****el engined model they also stuck diesel engines in here also as the chassis was essentially an experimental test bed

70_Mercedes_CH1-H_DV-06-AI-0Eng-01.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, everyone on here would be moaning "It isn't a W124 so I don't like it!!" ;)

That's a bit harsh cobber there are plenty of decent looking Mercs out there apart from the 124's, just not so many recent ones....

Actually, do I not see a touch of Dolorean in that car, or perhaps that car inspired the Dolorean.

Anyway, I think Mercedes should consider a mid engined, low slong sports car along this lines. With the new dynamic prowess of the AMG range and a good range of engines I suspect they'd make a cracking R8 Rival.

They could even do an entry level 6 clyinder diesel or 250CGi/250cdi entry level

Sounds good Steve! :)

This is how a "new" version could look... :)

Mercedes+c111_1024.jpg

BMW actually built this "for sale" around the same time 1978-81-- but sales were relatively poor--- because of the price or because they only built 456 perhaps? Lamborghini did the chassis engineering and Giorgetto Giugiaro the elegant design whose simple lines remain timeless like the C111.:thumb: Like the excellent Honda NSX these major brand mid engined coupes were never regarded as having the same " cachet" as the big boys Ferrari,Lamborghini and Maserati despite often having perhaps more thoroughly engineered cars.
800px-BMW_M1_1.jpg

That would sell Barry. However, I was thinking something designed that was a little more cab forward, more in the veign of an R8 but a more sensible size,

something perhaps to rival the new Alfa 4c

Talking of BMW, discovered this concept a few days ago which clearly led the way to the 6 series!

It's the Z9 from 1999! Makes me wonder how much did Bangle actually have to do with the 6.... :D

bmwz9002.jpg

That's a bit harsh cobber there are plenty of decent looking Mercs out there apart from the 124's, just not so many recent ones....

I was taking the Mick and that sort of highlighted my point.

I think the current designs are the best they have ever been, but so many seem to slate them.............and then buy them a couple of years later, of course. :D

Still think the CLS is a stand out design of recent times... :)

Still think the CLS is a stand out design of recent times... :)

It is, other than the sublimely styled S204. I like the S212 more than the the W212 if that makes sense but the CLS genuinely started a new design direction.

A mid engined mid sized sports car would give MB a new niche to grow into not filled by premium volume manufacturers.

Agreed. I sooo wish I liked the 218 CLS, but I just don't find the shape harmonious at all... pity...

I like the R171 SLK, but wouldn't want a 2 seater and the E coupe is too narrow inside for me (honestly!) so the 219 CLS is probably the only MB for me! Amazing!

Well at least there was one man I know who got sick and tired of waiting for MB to come up with a mid engined monster so he built his own.

Engine sits between the passengers, 6000 cc FI Chev, very very fast!

Last edited:
....and then there was this, very successful on the track in the late 60's and early 70's in Australia from what I understand, supercharger from a bulldozer no less. Engine from a 280S...

Last edited:
Wow, I love that little car!

I was saying earlier that I wasn't too keen on the look of the new 218 CLS...well, came across this photo and now I'm not so sure.. :D

MB_CLS_943RL_REAR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom