C123 230 ce Coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hillclimbmanic

Car
C123 230ce
Hi there Guys...
I'm new to the forum, but now own two Mercedes; a 2002 SLK230 Kompressor, and a 1983 230 ce.
I have quite a lot of metalwork to do, for the MOT, but my question is; has anyone on here dropped a V8 into a W123?
Regards,
Manic

V8 engine from a w126 will drop right into a w123 engine bay as will tbe radiator.

You'll need a rear end from a gen 1 w126 it a w123 300cd.

Welcome in. That's a project I've wanted to do for years. Lots of pics as you go please.

Yes definitely keep us updated on this one! :)

Wowzer!
More welding underneath than originally assessed
I'm having to shelve the V8 transplant for a while, until shell is completely repaired and strong again.
And Guy with S500 is playing hardball with the price...

Rats.!!!
The guy with the w126 s500 wouldn't play ball, and he's now sent it off for an MOT, etc...:(:(
So I'm looking for a m117 5.0/560 V8 and gearbox complete...
Anyone??

Manic

About 240hp for the 5.0, a little less if it has cats. Be careful, you might find that you'll like the SEC more than the CE :)

I think we had different spec engines over here, Al.!!
Luckily, I only bought the engine and box, etc...
The W123 doesn't require cats, as it's before 1992, the legal cut off in the UK

Which differential do I need, Al?

The W123 shared the same diff setup as the 107, W116 and first generation W126 which ran to the 85 model year. The V8's had 2.24 or 2.47:1 which gave them great highway cruising and overtaking speed. If you can find a 2.88:1 from a late model 300CD or SD, you'll get great off the line performance. Remember that the V8 cars start in second gear unless you mash the pedal.

The W123 shared the same diff setup as the 107, W116 and first generation W126 which ran to the 85 model year. The V8's had 2.24 or 2.47:1 which gave them great highway cruising and overtaking speed. If you can find a 2.88:1 from a late model 300CD or SD, you'll get great off the line performance. Remember that the V8 cars start in second gear unless you mash the pedal.
Thanks Al!
I'll start looking...

I've spent all week scraping underseal, and black, 'orrible gungy underseal from the back half of the coupe. :(
I previously removed all the rear suspension and exhaust to get to this, and have new springs, shocks, bushes, mountings, etc, as well as new seals for the diff, ready to go back in.
I'm now making templates to repair chassis and underbody, and waiting for my V8 and box to appear.!!

Welding on the chassis rails should be completed today.
Picking up the subframe and trailing arms from the blaster's, later on today. I have to get the suspension back on by the weekend, as I'm tying up a 2 poster that should have customers' cars on.!!
0rdering arch repair and sill panels, which can be done later, as can the complete back panel and boot floor panels.
This is definitely a labour of love, saving a classic coupe, as I would have advised a customer to weigh it in!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom