C123 Window rubbers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chemicalal

Car
W124 1996 E220 Estate
Hi all, I'm looking to replace the cracked and distressed outside window scrapers on my '84 280CE.
Has anyone done this before, and if so, could they outline exactly what is involved?
Is it muy dificile? or could a novice like me do it to a factory standard? The car is mint in every other way (just spent £500 on full service and mechanicals to get it running beautifully, and £1200 on getting the rust cut out and painted so the body is like new).
This is the only thing that is letting it down and i'd love to get it sorted asap.
Incidentally, was amazed that each part was only £10+VAT from the dealer - I'd been advised that they were close to £200 a side!!
Hope some W123 expert can help me complete my car!

The rears are more expensive but in general the rubbers are quite reasonable.

Easy to change, prise up the chrome and the rest will be revealed. Also its wise to remove the front mirrors to do this..

The new rubbers arent as good as the originals though and the fit wont be quite as tidy.. but they work.

Thanks fella - Saw your coupe up for sale recently - what a beauty! Did you move it on?
When you say prise up the chrome, i'm assuming that you mean the outside thick strip? How is this done without damage- Could you please outline exactly what I need to take off and how I do it (sorry to be an absolute pain, but i'm not too confident at these things unless I have detailed instructions (I'm sure i'm a jungian personality- type nightmare!)
Any help is much appreciated!

From memory I lowered the windows and used a platic wedge tool to prise the chrome upwards from the inside to avoid any paint damage.

The rest is straightforward.. just transfer clips onto new rubber and fit.

Rubber for the windows

Hi!
Realizing it's a while since last update in this thread, I'd love to get som closure in this. How was the job? Pictures? I've also got a C123 and are considering to do the same, however I cannot find parts as inexpensive as you've found. Would you happen to (still) have the part numbers and possible source for buying?

Thanks,

Stig :bannana:

The front window exterior scraper rubbers are now about £18 inc VAT from the dealer. I installed one a few weeks' back.

You will need a small hex head and, ideally, a trim removal kit. You can get them for about £5 from ebay or places like Machine Mart.

As Jay says, the window should be wound-down. Remove the side mirror: it has a triangular plastic cover (inside the cabin) which can be easily prized out by a thin wedge directed under the top. When removed, undo the three screws and take the whole thing off.

Remove the exterior chrome strip running above the scraper. You just first undo the tiny hex bolt inside the door which holds the chrome.

Gently prise the chrome upwards using another thin wedge under the plastic trim on the bottom edge of the chrome strip. It sits on about five metal clips: I'd suggest having some touch-up paint handy as they can come off. They have a sharp pointed tooth which will scratch the paint and longer term you know they'll rust if untreated.

You now have access to the window scraper which can be pulled up and out. It also sits on (re-usable) clips.

I used silicon spray on the new rubber and the smaller piece which attaches to the side which you will now have access to.

Last edited:
Hi, I to am looking for these, is there an good online source? Or is the main dealer the best bet? Thanks, Andrew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom