C124 300 Sportline 'Equivalent' springs and shocks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derin100

Car
Mercedes and BMW
As I'm probably now going to keep my 300CE I'm considering changing the suspension set-up.

It's currently on (new) standard springs and shocks. I've only driven it twice since completing the restoration. However, after a bit of a drive yesterday on winding country roads, I'm not sure I like this set-up. Whilst it's very comfortable in terms of soaking up bumps etc, there's a lack of control and too much wallowing for my taste. This conspires to nullify the extra engine performance this car has over my previous 230CE.

On the 230CE the previous Indie that used fitted sportline springs and Monroe Reflex shocks (which were apparently a Sportline equivalent). I really loved that set-up as it didn't seem the car was visually drastically low; nor did the ride seem in anyway harsh.

Does anyone know a good place to source these parts? Or does anyone have other similar suggestions?

I don't want a really 'lowered' look...just better handling.

Many thanks in advance.

So where do I buy them?

(but I'd actually be happy even with the set-up on my ex-230CE)

From the man in the email above, tell him Kiwi referred you and you may just get a nice surprise price wise... :):)

Many thanks!

I'll give him a try!

Derin, personally I think the Sportline set up is overrated when you can get adjustables from a leading supplier like Koni, they do two types (on & off car) and very possible there's sod all difference in cost.

On-car, might be ideal and the just get springs again from a leading supplier like Eibach etc, actually I think they do a set that only drops the car by only 30mm, anyway you can always adjust with spring pads. As for pricing I found it hard to beat Ebay.de on price, with very reasonable deliver charges and fast shipment.

Edit: Just had a quick look on Ebay.de (I'm in buying mode myself!), there doesn't seem to be much and the supplier I was going to buy from last year ( Koni x 4, €400) hasn't got them advertised for you car. I think it's a question of shopping around. Worth trying Google.de.

Last edited:
Did Koni ever get the rear in-car adjustable situation sorted out, last time I checked they were going to mount them upside-down so at least there was a chance to reach the adjuster.

I got them to dyno the new Sportline shocks I had so they could match their adjustable units to be the same when set in the central position, I have their chart somewhere here - it was all a bit of a mess around and the tuner was a little unsure he could match properly so just ran with what MB designated. I've found the Sportline set-up a little bit firm with Michelin "energy" tyres on the town pot holes - running 1 to 2 psi lower in the front deals with that - however on the open road the set up feels spot on. Friends with HSV's are genuinely jealous at the smooth about town yet firm on the highway feel - especially from a twenty year old car. :)

If you want I can PM you the Koni shock dyno graph for the front Sportline shocks, they have the data for the rear Sportline shocks at Auckland branch. If you are really interested they may be able to set something up properly in the UK to match Sportline springs.

Well, I tried the chap in the USA re: the actual Sportline parts.

Firstly, they weren't that cheap compared to other alternatives.

Secondly, the shock absorbers can't be shipped as he requires a special licience to ship these which he doesn't have.

Finally, if the goods come from the USA they'll be subject not to just to shipping costs but also import duties AND VAT here in the U.K (because they've come from outside of the E.U) which makes their purchase prohibitively expensive for me.

That's a pity, can't pay him and arrange shipment directly from Germany to the UK...??

Alternatively you must have a decent relationship with your local Dealer by now with all the parts you have bought over the years, surely they can look after you Derin...?

Bilstien shocks and H&R springs is another way to go...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom