C124 AMG Duck Tail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LowMilerAMG

Just wondered if the AMG Duck Tail for the coupe version of the W124 will fit the facelift post 94 coupes? The reason I ask is that in the AMG brochures of that period the Duck Tail is never fitted.
I know from pictures that Akash E36 coupe had one fitted so I'm not too sure.:dk:
Anyone?

After a W201 with a Duck Tail I feel my coupe is missing a little something:(

Yes it will fit although the saloon version wont fit the coupe.

There are as rare as hens teeth.

Thanks Sp!ke.
There was no sheet metal change with the facelift at the rear then?Just lights and the number plate plinth. Just didnt want to shell out for hens teeth to find it wont fit!
With my luck I find its Hens Teeth when I'm buying and unwanted Junk if I need to sell it back on!

There is some replica ones from China or something that I heard were good quality

Not for me its got to have a HWA part no to be fitted, but thanks for the heads up. I take it theres no difference in the two styles of Duck Tail one with the embossed logo and the one with the stick on one?

Not for me its got to have a HWA part no to be fitted, but thanks for the heads up. I take it theres no difference in the two styles of Duck Tail one with the embossed logo and the one with the stick on one?

Nope,apart from badges

The embossed one is for prefacelift, the post facelift has a stick on badge

The replicas are made of fiberglass instead of polyurethane and yes the replica has the HWA part numbers cast on the underside..
Why..because the replica was pulled from a mold of the original AMG part.

Difficult to maintain an "elitist" status if you don't accept the many variations that global AMG franchises offered that were not available at AMG Germany.
Only to look at what AMG Japan turned out !!!!

Not sure why you are so particular in whether the part is original AMG or quality replica...
I'm not proud and am using all replica parts for the GEN I Aero kit only because it is too difficult to find a quality AMG GEN I Aero kit.

By your logic it's not AMG unless it has an HWA part number...
AMG NA Central in Westmont IL USA fabricated the ducktails from steel which they blended into the bodywork with no raised edge as on the PU part.
Bears no HWA part number, custom sheetmetal fabrication...
I know of no one that would not accept this true AMG mod over the PU part !!!

If the mods weren't done by AMG or one of it's global franchises and with documentation then any install you do is not considered true AMG :thumb:

The link below is to a Benzworld thread that addresses the replica coupe ducktail.

AMG aftermarket Body Kit by Extreme Dimensions (Duraflex) installation - Page 4 - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

Last edited:
The embossed one is for prefacelift, the post facelift has a stick on badge

Simal

Actually there were three..
The very first ducktails were not embossed and used the premerger AMG logo stick on badge.
This can be seen in the 1986 Hammer builds.

What many don't realize is that the very first AMG aero kits were fiberglass switching over to all PU around 1988.

Ed

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies everyone and sorry if I offended you in any way Ed, that was not my aim. I'm in total admiration of the project you have undertaken.

So to summarise if I am lucky enough to find a genuine AMG Duck Tail they will all fit the facelift model. That's my main point they will all be the same shape with regards to mounting despite the differences with the logo.

Thanks for your replies everyone and sorry if I offended you in any way Ed, that was not my aim. I'm in total admiration of the project you have undertaken.

So to summarise if I am lucky enough to find a genuine AMG Duck Tail they will all fit the facelift model. That's my main point they will all be the same shape with regards to mounting despite the differences with the logo.

Not offended at all...
Used the word "elitist" in the sense of being rigid in only accepting an AMG part with a "HWA" prefix...can cause one to miss out on "real" parts !!

As far as your search for a true AMG ducktail, as long as it is for a coupe any variant will fit..sedans will not.
The current coupe part numbers are:

H WA124 790 17 88 = center section
H WA124 790 15 88 = left corner
H WA124 790 16 88 = right corner

If you look at a 1986 AMG price list you'll see that there are no alpha prefixes, just seven digit part numbers beginning with a "7".
For instance the front air dam for a W126 Euro in the 1986 list is part number 788007.
So you may come across an early ducktail that is real AMG but only has the seven digit part number with no "HWA" or "124" prefix !

In fact the only known NOS AMG C124 widebody kit which resides in the UK has a "C" prefix before the seven digit number.

In fact the complete aero kits for the 124 begin with a "B" prefix !!!

The "HWA" prefix is the last in the series of part number prefixes that were finally integrated into the MB EPC.

My point being to keep your eyes and mind open to what may be original AMG parts..
Remember they were just an aftermarket tuner and not as sophisticated as they eventually became..
Some early stuff could be even deemed crude by today's standards..

Cheers :thumb:

Ed A.

Last edited:
Thanks Ed, your knowledge will help me broaden my search. Yes some of their early stuff would indeed be classed as crude today. Let the search begin ...

Where are you located?I might be able to get you a bootlid with the ducktail

Where are you located?I might be able to get you a bootlid with the ducktail

Dash

What can't you get ??? ;)

Ed

I do believe EVL124 may have a "Never Fitted Genuine AMG" jobby, that he could be persuaded to let go......:)

Wow Thanks guys! Let me know by pm if you don't wish to post in the thread, I think thats ok if I have over 30 posts.

Dash, where in London are you?

Wow Thanks guys! Let me know by pm if you don't wish to post in the thread, I think thats ok if I have over 30 posts.

Dash, where in London are you?

I`m in SE23,yourself?I`ll get back to you about the ducktail

North of the river in E1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom