C124 engine transplant, 300+bhp?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DMDM

So, I'll try keep it short and sweet(but like thats really going to happen! lol)...

My big brothers just got himself a first gen mustang imported..and dear god no...3 engines,lol...one-off freight cost+empty seats for them sit on. genius:D
He's keeping his car date-correct,
a 302ci v8, stock 225 bhp, aiming for 300-350bhp tops he hopes.

SOOOOOoooo....
Cue restoration/modding of my car. :cool:
I've got a 1994 e220 coupe, apparently it was tested last and prduced 165bhp......just not enough. lol.
I've been doing some looking around here and in general, but I have to bear in mind, I dont have deep pockets.
Despite other forums suggesting an e500 transplant is far far far cheaper than trying to build an amg replica or twin turbo..............I'd like the idea of trying to get 300bhp out of a 6cyl. And I cant afford turbo. lol

I've been thinking a ''265bhp?'' 3.2l could touch 300+bhp with extra 'stuff'
but I don't know where to go in regards with gearbox/diff/other parts which may need upgrading? Perhaps then a donor car?

So, I'm new, and you may laugh at me if I know nothing and a bit of a dreamer, but I wont let his car out perform mine! lol

3.2 + e36 gearbox ? + 500/320 brakes
E36/C36 donor and what can I salvage from it?
480/500/560 donor ?????

I NEED 300bhp minimum, for under £1000. (rest of the car is being treated so cannot afford more)
Please advise.

What 3.2 are you talking about that puts out 265bhp?!!There is a guy with a 220 cab running 300+hp on a single turbo,but as you already know that will cost.The thing about the old mercedes is that you can`t do much to it and i`ll cost a lot just to gain an extra 10-20hp

Last edited:
Nos???

Nahh.He can still get an after market ecu that can kick out the full potencial of the mercedes engine but that alone would cost around 1k,so his budgget is far to low.This would make a good donor car though

Sell the car and buy a 400E or E420....
You'll have your 275 HP and V8 performance for much less then what it would take to get the same output from a Merc I6.

M103/M104 have the ability to make much power, but as the old American hot rod slogan states....

" Speed cost money...how fast do you want to go? " ;)

Lugy on here is breaking his W140 S320 with the 3.2L M104 and the matching gearbox - see the classified ads .

You just won't be able to do it for £1000. Sell it and buy somthing else.

I thought you wanted a CL?

but his car is very special, he knows i want it but he is playing hard to get

he dont haggle bless his socks, plus i need to get rid of 1 of mine

its hard seing his and a cl55 for the same price ish and making a decision

I can spend more, but in regard to the engine as starting ground, 1000.

And I just checked the 3.2 advert again, says 234bhp, not 265bhp. damn. lol. digit dreaming again!!
but i've read gains of up to 80bhp just from ecu remapping and new air intakes/filters.
But im sure 300 is achievable. even if It would require porting/polishing intakes,new throttlebody and other overlooked tunes???

I can spend more, but in regard to the engine as starting ground, 1000.

And I just checked the 3.2 advert again, says 234bhp, not 265bhp. damn. lol. digit dreaming again!!
but i've read gains of up to 80bhp just from ecu remapping and new air intakes/filters.
But im sure 300 is achievable. even if It would require porting/polishing intakes,new throttlebody and other overlooked tunes???

The 320 developes 217 bhp and 229 ft lb torque at a relatively low 3750 rpm.

the same 104 engine (size 2.8) was bored out to 3.6 litres to make the AMG 3.6 with approx 275 bhp and corresponding increase in torque.

It used the diesel engine crankshaft and bigger valves etc etc but used the same ECU

I would get a 3.6 AMG engine from a c class AMG car made 95 to 97 ish

I had found a few donors available for 800-1000, and the c36 drivetain can be put in a c124? didnt know if it could be done.
and, yeah, I knew the amg was stroked so it wouldnt be considered too outlandish..I consider it quite c124-correct. lol

With the ecu tuned and better flowing manifolds/intake/exhaust, 300bhp possible?!?!
(TEARS OUT EVERY SEAT AND PANEL FOR WEIGHT NOT NEEDED!! lol )
kidding!!

Your best bet is to sit down and think the plan through and then cost it out. Also by doing this you will be able to consider possible pitfalls and areas where you may need to extend your budget.....

If I was thinking about the things you are doing I would first think about the end product then create a preliminary 'shopping list' as to what I would need.

Thanks everybody for speedy replies.

NW MERC: ''black,red,cream and chrome everything!'' ;)

But really, I know what you mean, and have looked at it. Will definately go for a c36/e36 donor if i can be in at least part convinced that it goes ''straight in'' (not too much hassle).
Budget can stretch, thats the idea of saying at 1000 for start. lol, if I'd said 8 grand from the start, I'd be done for. Never been a carbootsale and been told somethings cost a tenner .. walked away and the next guys offered him 2 quid and scored? lol

Only real pitfall I anticipate is gearbox/shifter alignment, diff', and condition of the entire suspension/struts/wishbones etc(most will be new replacements, its just... Im hoping I can totally pimp up the parts inbetween/around brakes/suspension)...If I cant deal with them all personally with a parts washer,blaster, and lots of borrowed favours/painting/sealing :)

I dont have a budget put away(Wedding being funded from like 80% of my salary, lol), so things come as they come. first off will be either the engine, on a stand to admire while I wait for the next payslip(overtime,lol) to arrive....or .... body pre-prep. Speaking of which, If you all want nightmares.... Recently posted pics here : http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/47005-my-new-car-e220-coupe-post1021354.html#post1021354

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom