C124 - instrument cluster lights almost ...almost gone!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

charan_singh

I dont appear to have much 'lighting' to my instrument cluster anymore?! Whats going on?

Thanks guys.

rheostat behind cluster failed/failing? try twisitng the tripometer button left and right a few times.

i suspect the bulbs are gone dim, i.e. they work but the actual bulb has blackened.

replace these and your cluster will look like a fruit machine!

you need a pulling tool, to take the cluster out. ive tried the coat hanger trick but didnt prove to be useful

MERCEDES PULLING TOOL FOR INSTRUMENT REMOVAL FROM DASH | eBay

you put the ends into the corners of the dash cluster and the pointy end will catch in the teeth of the cluster inside. with an almighty pull the cluster will come loose.

actually you have to jiggle it forcefully. Its not that easy to remove if its never been taken out.

you'll then have to disconnect everything behind it. Pretty straight forward. The speedo cable is screwed in so un twist it.

Its one of the first jobs i done on my car. Quite scary at first! but a a doddle.

I'm with mattc on this one. First try rotating the trip meter knob left and right a little a few times. Often when pushing it in the rest the mileage it can move "by itself".
Les

I'm with mattc on this one. First try rotating the trip meter knob left and right a little a few times. Often when pushing it in the rest the mileage it can move "by itself".
Les

Of course, always try the basic first, but I would have thought that would have been the first thing one would try? Its pretty 'elementary'!:)

I've just had same thing happen to my w124 e300.The transmission lever lighting went at the same time, which I assumed would rule out a blown bulb in the binnacle.

After a couple of days, when driving and adjusting the dimmer, the lights came back on. I was on the verge of pulling the binnacle but glad I persevered with the dimmer. I would say worth hanging on for a few days before resorting to removing the binnacle.

no way! :doh: it wasnt was it!?

Mine intermitently decides not to bother lighting the dash when the head lights are on. Apparently this is quite a common problem and due to a dry solder joint on the rear of the cluster, on a fuse iirc. I had the same problem on a previous w124 and was an easy fix. It's on my to do list on my current car. Looks like the cluster removal tools for the w140 will come in handy again!

Yeh, i hadnt driven the car for months...and someone had obviously been messing around with the tripometer. LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom