C124 - Underside leak....fuel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

charan_singh

Guys,

Have just got back from 2 weeks away and have found the benz is leaking. Will try and attach a few pictures that should provide a clear idea of where it is coming from....

here are the pics...definitely FUEL...after having had a look at the substance leaking...

Attachments

• leak1.JPG
    leak1.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 62
  • leak2.JPG
    leak2.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 60
  • leak3.JPG
    leak3.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 61
Is the leak at the front or back?

I've recently had all the fuel, brake and sls lines on mine changed for copper as they were quite rusty. The fuel filler neck is starting to look rusty just at the point it joins the fuel tank, so thats my next job. My point, is that there are plenty of places of potential leak at either end of the car!

Maybe put some cardboard down and see if you can identify the fluid that is leaking first of all.

Take the cover off Charan and have a look at the connection to the fuel filter - mine was leaking from here after replacement and just required tightening. Have you had either the filter or the pump changed recently?

Posts must of crossed....good luck getting it rectified. Looks like it maybe ta the fuel filter?

Take the cover off Charan and have a look at the connection to the fuel filter - mine was leaking from here after replacement and just required tightening. Have you had either the filter or the pump changed recently?
no mate, havent....literally just noticed a puddle of fuel on my drive...:(

no mate, havent....literally just noticed a puddle of fuel on my drive...:(

Deffo take that cover off and just have a look around at all the connections, condition of pipes etc. I take it that you noticed it was leaking prior to turning the car over?

Ours once had a leak from a crack in the fuel filter. Previous owner had fitted some cheap nasty thing. The real deal from MB was around £30 as far as I can remember.

so it sounds as though the leak could be originating from the fuel filter....is there anything else around that area? Will get it up on a ramp.....not sure when though..

Quick way to look at it Charan will be to drive one set of wheels onto the kerb as this gives you enough access to undo the plastic cover (this is what i did with mine when it started leaking).

the rubber fuel pipe going up to the metal pipe under there does perish after 15 years.

Give full Vin to dealer when ordering as there were several different configerations over time.

If its the 95 E220 COUPE referred to in recent posts when you remove the plastic cover [ 4 nylon nuts on threaded studs on floor pan = 2 at the front of the cover 1 on the long leg at the rear plus a hidden one on the offside] this is what you will probably see. A big pipe leading down from the fuel tank to the pump [ left of pic] a short narrower pipe to the inlet of the filter plus a narrow outlet which connects to the metal fuel lineleading to the front of the car as has been said.

ps wear protective clothing/gloves-- modern petrol is nasty stuff - don't get your clothes soaked in it!!!!!!!!! and no naked flames obviously. You may have to clamp the various fuel lines or drain the tank to be safe. Its relatively easy to work on if you have good access underneath and take adequate safety precautions. It might be simple-- clip replaced or tightened but work safe.

Last edited:
thanks - its actually a e220.....will try and get someone to give it a look over this week. Sods law that the 911 is going in for warranty work this week...typical!

Will it be ok to drive it?

The E220 saloon will be the same. Is it safe to drive---well how long is a piece of string--- really depends on the extent of the leak--- hot exhaust pipe and petrol leak not a good combination! OK to shift the car about about a bit briefly but after that?????? Leak is likely to be worse when the pump is running if the leak is downstream of the pump= high pressure. With the price of petrol nowadays best sorted sooner than later.

Good advice from the chaps above Charan, keep us informed of the outcome!

My local mechanic has confirmed that one of the pipes had sprung a leak. He has repaired the leak but confirmed that the pipe will need replacing pretty soon. Many thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom