C124 wheel offset question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scooby220

Car
This may take a while.......
Hi,

I'm looking to fit a set of 18" 5x100 wheels on to my 1993 e320 Sportline coupe with pcd adaptors.

The wheels are 8x18" with an offest of ET35, the adaptors will convert it from 5x112 to 5x100 with a thickness of 20mm.

Wheel these wheels fit and after fitting the adaptors will I have an offset ET15 ?

Thanks in adavance

A 20mm spacer will reduce your effective ET to 15 but I doubt 18x8 wheels would clear the wheel arches after that. Only way to know for certain would be to trial fit.

With the wheel being 8j wide rather than 8.5j wouldn't it fit ?

Nope, not even close.

The standard sportline/sport chassis set up is a 7" et41 wheel and compared to this your 8" wheel with an effective et15 will sit 40mm further out.

It's a mute point due to massive clearance problems but the origional scrub_radius will be properly ruined, probably making the thing horrible to drive and definately making it tricky/more scary/downright dangerous in the event of a sudden puncture. Less importantly the wheel bearings wouldn't like it and PCD adaptors/bolt on spacers can be properly mickey mouse things a lot of the time due to cheapnese manufacturing etc... i've seen the aftermath of a few cars that have lost wheels and in nearly every case when it was due to wheel bolts/studs breaking adaptors or stupidly thick spacers were involved

FWIW 17 x 7.5 et35 AMG monblock ll with 225/45r17 tyres rubbed the cladding (top back inner edge of the front arches) on my sport chassis s124 under enough suspension compression- high speed dips, not crawling over speedhumps etc. They only sit 12mm further out than the standard 15 x 7 et41 wheels and are really 202/210 fitments. Monoblock ll for a 124 are et42 and even then MB list various modifications* including shimming/spacing the lower wing mounts to push the arch out, limiting suspension bump travel and rolling the arch return... Index of /docs/mb/W124 Fitting instructions for various wheel sizes and ETs near the bottom of the page

* obviously MB have to think about things like a car full Septics racing over Belgian pavé to reach a McDonalds before closing time

Cheers hotrodder for info :thumb:

Wanted to put something on other than monoblocks as everyone seems to have them.

Will just keep looking....

I get that, they're 'kin heavy too. I kept mine and turned up some nylon to shim the lower wing mounts and fix the rubbing issue because they suit 124s so well but they are like belly buttons. What about Cegnius /evo ll, not properly different but not so common unless it's an e500 (maybe due them being harder to find in the correct et to go straight on a 'normal' 124?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom