c140 lovely

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
Lovely looker this,

The very model and colour scheme that got me interested in buying my first MB.

I'd rather own that particular car than some of the overpriced 55's seen advertised lately.

Just lovely colour combination. the brabus wheels are AMGs

Very nice !

At £8k an undervalued imposing top quality car in a great colour combo. Ideal weekend car.

One of less than just 40 still on the road in the UK. https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/mercedes_s500_coupe_auto

My CL500 dreams of being in this kind of condition in 15 years time.

"If" everything works it would be a great buy.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice !

At £8k an undervalued imposing top quality car in a great colour combo. Ideal weekend car.

One of less than just 40 still on the road in the UK. https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/mercedes_s500_coupe_auto

My CL500 dreams of being in this kind of condition in 15 years time.

"If" everything works it would be a great buy.

View attachment 108755
Tenth time around on eBay ? and mention of the wood trim being cracked through sun damage seems to have been removed this time. Has it had an engine transplant ? Seems to have picked up a few cc on the current listing. 1998 Mercedes-Benz 420CL

Tenth time around on eBay ? and mention of the wood trim being cracked through sun damage seems to have been removed this time. Has it had an engine transplant ? Seems to have picked up a few cc on the current listing. 1998 Mercedes-Benz 420CL

Thanks for pointing that out to anyone who might be tempted.

"How does one tell if a used car salesman is telling a fib ?"

His lips move

(Apologies for the generalisation Merc85 and PCS, but you know the people that I'm talking about.)

Hi everyone.

as the current ad is using my photos I thought it worth pointing out that I am not selling the car, which is why they’ve dropped the description of cracked wood. Those photos are from 2017 when I had the car for sale, and are most likely being used by the current owner.
Sorry to disappoint MikeInWimbledon, no fibbing by me here.
thanks,
Luke
LUDEN Automotive.

Luke, I don't think the copmment was aimed at you, but it is very often accurate; it's a dishonest trade in general.

I assume it had full service history when you sold it, but now it has only partial. I wonder why? I also wonder if it looks quite like the pictures now? My R129 looked lovely in the pictures, but the reality was a shed....

If it was OK, and I was after one of these, that one would be on my drive now; I could live with the leisurely performance, just to have that colour combination and interior - absolutely perfect, even down to the part-wood wheel. Totally Mercedes and just gorgeous...

Luke, I don't think the copmment was aimed at you, but it is very often accurate; it's a dishonest trade in general.

I assume it had full service history when you sold it, but now it has only partial. I wonder why? I also wonder if it looks quite like the pictures now? My R129 looked lovely in the pictures, but the reality was a shed....

If it was OK, and I was after one of these, that one would be on my drive now; I could live with the leisurely performance, just to have that colour combination and interior - absolutely perfect, even down to the part-wood wheel. Totally Mercedes and just gorgeous...
Plenty of dishonest people in all professions, but no real need to tar everyone with the same brush. However my comment was meant lightly, and I’m not fussed, I just don’t want people to believe I’m still trying to sell the car - and I’m less than pleased the owner is using my photos.

It was a nice car when I sold it, and I enjoyed driving it a few times. I suspect it’s not been used too much since. Photos can be very deceiving sadly, and there are plenty of cars out there that look stunning but aren’t in reality, however I’d like to think these photos were an honest representation of the car when taken. For me it needed a darker colour interior to be the right sort of spec for me, plus I’d love a 500/600 over a 420.

Hi everyone.
as the current ad is using my photos I thought it worth pointing out that I am not selling the car, which is why they’ve dropped the description of cracked wood. Those photos are from 2017 when I had the car for sale, and are most likely being used by the current owner.
Sorry to disappoint MikeInWimbledon, no fibbing by me here.
thanks,
Luke
LUDEN Automotive.
Hi Luke,

Sorry if I sounded rude, but the comment wasn't directed at you, just the generality of those trying to force a living out of selling old stuff of very varied quality who get tempted to gloss over issues. If you read what I said, it was more about warning possible buyers to do "due diligence," go in with eyes open, and "caveat emptor."

To my eyes you under priced the car as you described it in 2017. Someone got a bargain. As described I would have bought it back then.

As I said originally, if that CL500 is as described at £8k now, it's still worth it as a weekend / high days and holidays car, especially when compared to new S class coupes commanding £125k, with guaranteed depreciation of £50k over the first three years of ownership.

As for the wood veneer, maybe it has been fixed sometime these last three years. Maybe not.

Wonder if it is a CL420 or CL500 ?

Either way, it's a stylish vehicle to drive to The Club every Saturday morning in double glazed 75mph comfort, even if it drinks a little too much, like its owner.

Last edited:
Hi Luke,

Sorry if I sounded rude, but the comment wasn't directed at you, just the generality of those trying to force a living out of selling old stuff of very varied quality who get tempted to gloss over issues. If you read what I said, it was more about warning possible buyers to do "due diligence," go in with eyes open, and "caveat emptor."

To my eyes you under priced the car as you described it in 2017. Someone got a bargain. As described I would have bought it back then.

As I said originally, if that CL500 is as described at £8k now, it's still worth it as a weekend / high days and holidays car, especially when compared to new S class coupes commanding £125k, with guaranteed depreciation of £50k over the first three years of ownership.

As for the wood veneer, maybe it has been fixed sometime these last three years. Maybe not.

Wonder if it is a CL420 or CL500 ?

Either way, it's a stylish vehicle to drive to The Club every Saturday morning in double glazed 75mph comfort, even if it drinks a little too much, like its owner.
No need to apologise, and I was probably being a bit touchy even though my own comment was meant lightly. Photos are definitely deceiving and buyers should do their own checks. To be honest one of my frustrations (especially over the past year), is people who just want to purchase without even viewing a car, as that seems bonkers to me.

As far as I remember it was for sale for a little while and I wanted to get it moving (and being used). I think it was a relatively cheap car at that point, and certainly lovely to drive.

I would be surprised if the veneer had been repaired, but you never know early.

It is definitely a 420. The double glazing was one of my favourite things about it, just one of those lovely Mercedes touches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom