C180 2011 Engine Light, Cam Issue...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Antspants1

Car
Mercedes C180 Blue Efficiency
I Bought my first Mercedes late last year it is a 2011 C180 blue efficiency, Engine number starts with 271 Log book says type 204 ?? , Within a Week the engine light came on as it was rocking the car when i reached my destination,

The garage reset the codes and sent me away, 24hours later it was back again no reason for it was just driving along normally...

So they read the codes again. They are inlet and outlet cam sensors ?.

So they changed both of these and a new wiring that comes with them.

Got the car back and it ran just fine, Until the light came back this time it was on start up.

So the following day the light chose too turn itself off ?.. car ran fine again no issue at all,

Then the car decided it would make a rattle grinding tapping noise. It sounded like a diesel. !..

Anyway the car stopped,. Started her again and it ran fine not a issue at all, 10 mins or so later i got to a roundabout and the same noise came and stopped the car. During this however there was no engine light unless i have worn the dam bulb out. !

So turned her off and started again and it has ran fine all the way home...

The garage seem to be at a loss as to what it could be, They have checked the timing it is bang on and the chain does not seem to be slack at all.

Anyone any idea what this could be ??

Last edited:
The M271 is prone to premature timing gear failure at around 100,000 miles.

In fact it is recommended to have the timing gear and chain replaced preemptively at around 80,000-90,000 miles.

What you describe might be the result of the timing gear or chain tentioner playing-up and causing momentary timing issues.

If the timing chain or gear are allowed to fail, the potential damage (valves striking pistons) usually means a new engine is needed.

I would not drive the car until the cams cover is removed and the condition of the timing chain and gear are inspected by someone who knows these engines.

If you are lucky, it might turn out to be an electronic component rather than a mechanical one.

Last edited:
markjay said:
The M271 is prone to premature timing gear failure at around 100,000 miles. In fact it is recommended to have the timing gear and chain replaced preemptively at around 80,000-90,000 miles. What you describe might be the result of the timing gear or chain tentioner playing-up and causing momentary timing issues. If the timing chain or gear are allowed to fail, the potential damage (valves striking pistons) usually means a new engine is needed. I would not drive the car until the cams cover is removed and the condition of the timing chain and gear are inspected by someone who knows these engines. If you are lucky, it might turn out to be an electronic component rather than a mechanical one.
I was under the impression this was sorted by the time the m271 was into2010

mark jay - The M271 is prone to premature timing gear failure at around 100,000 miles.

Premature?? :confused:

Last edited:
Get the cam cover off and look closely for metal filings in the oil...

Balance shaft may have gone!

We've had it happen on a previous car. Stealer had the car in 4 times and could not work it out. We were told everything... It's normal, you're driving it wrong, it's warming up, it's within tolerance, no fault, keep driving it!

A good independent was spot on with diagnosis. Repair was costly.

We have photos.

MercedesD.

It needs the timing to be checked before you do anything! Don't try and start it or run it either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom