C180 ATF Levels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyjk1

Car
w203 C180 Kompressor
Hello all this is my first post here. My friend has W203 C180 Kompressor (in Jamaica) and she's having problems with the ATF leaking from around the gasket. She needs to replace the gasket but it is quite a long drive to the MB garage. She's asking how to top up the ATF so she can drive it there, can anyone help with advice on how to top it up, are there any special tools required etc, problems to look out for etc. Any help would be most appreciated
Thanks
Andy

Top up is carried out through the dip stick tube. You will need to break off the lock tab on the tube cap to remove it. Your problem will be guessing how much oil in the box as there is no dip stick in the tube. But if you google how to make a dipstick for a w203 it has been covered lots of times

And your leak will be from the electric plug seals not the gasket available from Mercedes for around £20 called a pilot bush.

The reason the ATF filler tube is sealed is that the correct provider involves having the transmission oil warmed up to working temperature as confirmed by MB STAR diagnostics tool, on level ground (preferably on garage lift) and engine running. So not a straightforward exercise for the novice.

It can be done DIY i.e. without STAR but needs to be done carefully, so unlike with engine oil it is not a simple matter of just adding half litre every now and then.

Best get the leak sorted and change the AFT at the same time...

Thanks for all of your help people, most appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom