C180 Auto AMG Sport Plus Delivered, Returned 60 miles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alistairgd

Car
C180 AMG Sport Plus
Took delivery of my C180 AMG Sport Plus in white yesterday at 130pm. It was on a recovery truck before 9pm.

Engine was cutting out (stop start was off), rough idle, then misfiring, eventually would not go anywhere. Yellow engine mangement warning light on.

Roadside diagnostics, Cylinder 4 misfire. To "drive" it felt tlike it was only firing on 1 cylinder.

Can't believe it, pristine Merc, only 60 miles on the clock, and broken down.

WTF.

Not good, hope they sort it out soon, and welcome

Yeh to say I am devastated, having suffered THE SAME THING with my BMW 318 previosuly, granted at least it went a bit more than 60 miles.

I guess I am just really unlucky with new cars.

Slight scratch on the headlamp unit too.

GUTTED.

Gutted yesterday, absolutely despondant today.

Dealer left me a nice E-Class to run around in, but fact is my brand new Merc has now been up and down the country on a flat bed and pawed over for a day by mechanics, and I have not had a single call from the dealer today for an update. I had to phone them myself to be told they are trying to track down what could be a fuel supply issue.

I really just want to reject the car now, but I know they have to be given opportunity to fix.

Feel absolutely ****e.

Dealer left me a nice E-Class to run around in, but fact is my brand new Merc has now been up and down the country on a flat bed and pawed over for a day by mechanics, and I have not had a single call from the dealer today for an update. I had to phone them myself to be told they are trying to track down what could be a fuel supply issue.

I really just want to reject the car now, but I know they have to be given opportunity to fix.

Feel absolutely ****e.
Not what you expect when buying a premium brand new car,but hopefully it will be back with you very soon & no more issues(at least the problems risen while under warranty & won't cost you)-make sure the supplying dealer knows how dissapointed you are & maybe they'll offer you a free service or two as a goodwill gesture.

alistairgd said:

Feel absolutely ****e.

Dont reject unduly. If its bad they'll just shove a new engine in and it'll be fine. You've got an E to cut about in, they're so far treating you ok

1805, phone call.

Suspected wiring issue with an injector, new parts ordered.

"Extremely rare, especially in a petrol".

Only my second new car and both have been duff, this is why I switched up from BMW!

Sorry to winge on a bit, I was just so looking foward to this car now it's all gone drastically pete tong.

1805, phone call.

Suspected wiring issue with an injector, new parts ordered.

"Extremely rare, especially in a petrol".

Only my second new car and both have been duff, this is why I switched up from BMW!

Sorry to winge on a bit, I was just so looking foward to this car now it's all gone drastically pete tong.

I take it your BMW was fixed and you had many miles of happy motoring with it thereafter? I'm sure the MB will be the same :)

This car happen with new cars sometimes . We had a one this year at work that put on the engine light with 18 miles on the **** , it was a duffed exhaust tempature sensor , the same car then started overheating when the owner was driving home , this turned out to be a bad thermostat . If a part is faulty of manfactured wrong then it will fail early in the cars life , such as this cars thremostat and tempature sensor , what has failed on your car will be minor and when it is located and replaced i sure your new car will be great .

It is rare on an MB Petrol.

Yeh exactly what the Workshop Manager said, small consellation for me though.

I spoke to them today about another issue I forgot to mention earlier because I was so depressed about the engine fault; the brake pedal has a point of resistance at the start of travel, it kind of holds and clicks before operating smoothly.

On the engine fault, sounds like they are having a job finding the issue, I'm not convinced its an injector, feels more like fuel starvation. One faulty injector doesn't cause a car to die pulling up to a junction.

Anyway, need to wait until Monday for the next update.

I take it your BMW was fixed and you had many miles of happy motoring with it thereafter? I'm sure the MB will be the same :)

If that was the case, I'd still be with BMW :thumb:

4 years with the BMW in a few words,... all coils changed,diff changed twice, clutch issues, squeeky door rubbers, squeeky "speed hump" suspension and pretty poor customer service. Nah, it'll take a special BMW to make me go back.

It was also an unlucky car for me, an accident BEHIND me on a dual carriageway resulted in my car being showered with red chips. That's a pretty big deal for someone who is paintwork OCD and currently cacking myself over mechanics pawing over my MB engine bay for days!

Last edited:
Yeh exactly what the Workshop Manager said, small consellation for me though.

I spoke to them today about another issue I forgot to mention earlier because I was so depressed about the engine fault; the brake pedal has a point of resistance at the start of travel, it kind of holds and clicks before operating smoothly.

On the engine fault, sounds like they are having a job finding the issue, I'm not convinced its an injector, feels more like fuel starvation. One faulty injector doesn't cause a car to die pulling up to a junction.

Anyway, need to wait until Monday for the next update.

I'm having a few issues with mine which was delivered last Wednesday. Rear parking sensors have a range of about 2cm, Spurious Airbag Failure and Parking Brake warnings, Screen and Dash go off when doors lock as you set off and Media Interface doesn't detect my iPod when connected. A phone call on monday methinks.

After cancelling a previous car that was going to be delayed until March next year and waiting 4 months for this one, its certainly knocks the edge off that new car feeling...

Last edited:
Many years ago a friend of mine took delivery of a new 124( company car). He drove out from the dealers & the second set of traffic lights the car refused to move & had to be recovered back to the dealer. He got it back the following day & the dealer said it was a bit of swarf had jammed a valve or spool in the transmission. After this the car did thousands of trouble free miles. As previously said new cars can have some teething troubles.
When you get your car back, enjoy it, I may never cause trouble again.

I'm having a few issues with mine which was delivered last Wednesday. Rear parking sensors have a range of about 2cm, Spurious Airbag Failure and Parking Brake warnings, Screen and Dash go off when doors lock as you set off and Media Interface doesn't detect my iPod when connected. A phone call on monday methinks.

After cancelling a previous car that was going to be delayed until March next year and waiting 4 months for this one, its certainly knocks the edge off that new car feeling...

Welcome to the winge thread.

Sorry to hear about your woes :( Those are all electrical issues by the sounds of it, could be easy or damn near impossible to track down. Fingers crossed it's a simple thing they'll spot quickly.

Similar to you, my original date was December because of a parts shortage on the pano roofs, then this one came in to another dealer with my spec, so my delear did a swap so I could get my car earlier. Which also makes me feel worse, cause if I had waited for my original order, I wouldn't have this lemon now.

Agreed about the new car feeling, gone, faster than a merc on a recovery trailer :eek:(

It could have been worse, could have been DOA!

This happens with all sorts of new kit so 'worry thyne self not', it'll get sorted and all will be well.

It's not a lemon yet... it just had a minor fault. Let them fix it, it will be good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom