C180 Auto Petrol Dec 11 reg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shailesh

Car
C180 W204
Hi

Had a service done in Jul 16, upon checking recently, the next one is due at around 8,000 miles, I thought it would be 12 months or min 12,500 miles, which ever comes first.

Any one confirm why it would be approx8,000 to next service please
thanks

The service indicator on my 2009 C180K comes on at 12 months intervals. I don't know what the maximum annual mileage is because I don't come near to exceeding it. I'd say you are correct in assuming it must be at least 12,000 miles.

Have you done a high mileage in a short time ? I'm thinking perhaps the service system may pro rata that and might assume that you are going to exceed the annual maximum even if you are not. It would be just the sort of pseudo intelligent thing that a dumbed down modern car does. I hate it when the car treats me like an idiot.

When my indy last serviced my CLK, I noticed that when he reset the Assyst Plus, he set an indicator to specify 'long-life' oil. I think this causes Assyst Plus to use a 15,500 mile interval.

May this wasn't done when your car was last serviced and it has assumed a shorter mileage interval for non long-life oil?

Last edited:
I had exactly this problem on my 2011 c180 CGIthis year. Took it in for a service and it SHOULD have been set to 15500 but when I left the dealership it was set to 9000. When I first called up about this they told me it was their mistake and to bring it back in and they would reset it too 15500 at the time it slipped my mind. Fast forward 1 year and 10,000 miles I got the service overdue message just before my recent service and when challenged the dealer said d it is definitely 9,000 mile service intervals which goes against all of Mercedes literature. My oil was also extremely dirty after 9000 miles like a diesel car. I can only assume at the last service they put either the wrong grade oil in or used the wrong filter or both. Since the service 3 days ago the oil is thinner and is see they in colour and car is running like a new car.

Reason why I think they used the wrong oil filter combo last year is because they messed up my booking and were not expecting me the day I dropped off the car. In your case they have either deliberately used the wrong grade oil as opposed to what's on the spec sheet, or they have merely selected the wrong grade oil in the Assyst service reset options.

I think what is being said here rings true. I do my own servicing and when I reset the service indicator I recall it asks if synthetic oil has been used and it will then set the maximum mileage according to the response you provide.

This is how I do the service reset:

4 Button:
Ignition in position 1
Press R button, keep pressed and press the + button within 1 second
Press system selection button (above R) - "Assyst Plus" appears
Press R button "Service data" appears
Press system selection button "Full service appears"
Press R button - current service items shown
Press system selection button repeatedly until 'confirm service?" appears
Press R button - "service completed' appears - (may also have to confirm the oil type)
Press + button - "no takeback" is shown
Press + button "full service carried out" shown
Press system selection button repeatedly until back to normal display
Turn off igniton

Thanks all
Lot to think about
Looking at the paperwork, they used 5W-30 oil, in the past it was 5W-40, drive feels fine.
Would this make the difference or simply they it it wrong>

In either case the oil will be 229.3 or 229.5. For 'long-life' oil settings the oil filter should be fleece, not paper - apparently the paper oil filter element does not last as long.

....Looking at the paperwork, they used 5W-30 oil, in the past it was 5W-40, drive feels fine.
Would this make the difference or simply they it it wrong>

Either oil is fine but which ever grade is used 229.5 is rated for longer oil change intervals than 229.3 and maybe it's not that during reset the Service Assyst asks if synthetic oil was used but which of the these two permissible specs and then it sets the oil change interval accordingly. I'll remember to look out for that at the next service.

Here's a quote from MB's oil specifications that would appear to back that up:

Compared with 229.3 the 229.5 engine oils are characterized by: potential for even longer oil change intervals (in combination with new oil filter elements).

The bit about new oil filter elements presumably refers to fleece

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom