C180 Auto Sport (W202?) blog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nebulaman

Car
C200k (2001)
I am a total beginner when it comes to cars. When I see a car I like I go to the various forums to seek out reviews and potential pitfalls. I noticed though that when I researched the C180 the very little I could find for novices was not very positive and was often just scoffing by those who could afford to run the more premium models. I have just decided to purchase a M reg (1995) C180 Auto Sport and so I would like to start a totally unbiased account of my experiences and any problems I encounter on the way. I hope this will help anyone in future make an informed opinion on the C180. I pick her up on Friday so I will let you know how it goes! I shall report on the test drive and the condition she was found in later on.

The early 202's were good little cars, although not that heavy on toy's usually. It's good to have gone for an auto box (generally solid as a rock). The 180 isn't super powerful, but will get you comfortably from A to B with no problems.

Rust could be an issue - very common problem with 202's of all ages. Yours is a pre facelift, so has the original bumpers/interior no doubt. No real difference other than everything will probably be more square in appearance instead of curvy.

Sport IIRC means stiffer suspension than normal, not sure what else though.

Thanks Mercfanuk. That is just the kind of reply I am looking for. It reassured me to exactly what type I have got.

I saw the car advertised on the internet at a local trader. I was put off by the external colour (Metallic aqua blue) and the interior (cream leather) but I was looking for a car that works so the aesthetics were a low priority. The car was advertised as follows:

MERCEDES-BENZ C180 Sport, 4 Doors, Automatic, Saloon, Petrol, 1995, 145,699 miles, Blue. Metallic Paint, Cream Leather Seats, Radio CD, Alloy Wheels, Electric Windows, Automatic..... Price £995

I went to have a look yesterday but the garage was closed so I had a good look round. The car had the price tag of £995 but it had been reduced from £1750! I have also found out the garage had sold up and were trying to get rid of stock. A bit of a risk as there would not be a warranty unless I pay through the nose for one from an external company.

I went back today for a test drive and a further rumage around. Absolutely no rust! Not even below the washer bottle (also very clean), battery, wheel arches or windows. The garage had put on a new rear box on the exhaust as the other was rusty. The springs, shocks, boots etc were in great condition. You had to look very, very closely to find any scuffs in the paintwork. All the services to 120k were Mercedes and that was the last documented service. The oil though was still a golden colour so had probably been changed fairly recently. I will still probably get a full service at a local Indy for piece of mind. It had an annoying overactive retrofit alarm. I have asked for this to be taken off. There was a slight nick to the drivers door upholstery but it doesnt bother me.

Test drive: Lovely smooth automatic although there seemed to be a small lag getting moving from stationary and a bit sluggish until the first gear change. Brakes were sharp and cornering was smooth with no noises or bumps. I was concerned that the SRS light was on for about a minute or so but the light did go out and the car had apparently been sat around idle for ages. Maybe the ECU was getting settled?

I was very pleased and hope to pick her up on Friday. On reflection my only regret is that I didn't get her above 35 mph thanks to traffic. I didn't think about it at the time but I should have really had a spin down the dual carriageway. I have taken a gamble there so I just hope the condition of the car and the service history are a good omen. Lesson learned!

Questions:
1) Where was the car made and how do I find out?
2) Is that the timing belt under the oil filler cap?

Good luck with the car, it sounds a good buy - look forward to the blogging. For a 'total beginner' with cars you seem to have a fair idea what you are doing... :confused:. Don't think a leather interior would put me off either :).

The lag is pretty normal. Stamp pedal....wait...go go go

Welcome to the forums. You'll find plenty of help and advice here.

The sluggishness as you pull away could be because the S/W switch by the gear selector is in W(inter) mode, which starts in second gear.

You'll be pleased to discover Mercedes engines have timing chains, not belts.

The stock alarms on the early c class had light on the door handle and the rear view mirror, quite a funky setup I thought :D

There will probably be a delay in pedal down / forward motion even in S - unless you kickdown it'll rarely fly off the mark I'm afraid lol. I can't remember, but I think sprintboosters solve this? I'm sure someone here will be able to tell you :)

For a 'total beginner' with cars you seem to have a fair idea what you are doing... :confused:.

I wouldn't have the foggiest how to do an oil change! The little I do know about cars is when I have learned from previous mistakes. I know a little about engines but the lumps I'm used to are V12, 11 litre per cyclinder 2-stroke! It's all theory but not practice. The little bit of knowledge I have used on here are from my recent research on the C180. I do have a habit of spouting TLA's (Three Letter Acronyms) but unfortunatly they are used throughout my previous careers so they are ingrained! I think if I am to truly to do a write up I need to steer away from these!

Last edited:
Congratulations on your purchase. I'm a big fan of the W202 having owned 3 of them myself and still got 2. I will be keeping an eye on this thread with interest. Your engine doesn't have a timing belt, it's a chain and unless it rattles (unusual) you shouldn't need to worry about it. Chances are your car is made in Germany - have a look at the i/d plate and I thin it will say something like Mercedes Benz- Germany or Made in Germany or something. I've owned my C200 for over 4 years now and it is the best car I've ever had - completely reliable, comfortable, pleasure to own & drive + hasn't needed much work. It's like yours, totally rust free. It's my belief these pre facelift models are actually better than the face lift ones although many will likely disagree with that. Ok they've got less electonic gadgetry on them but then there's less to go wrong + the paint seems to be far better and they rust less. I've got both versions so I'm speaking from experience. Anyway good luck with yours.

It's my belief these pre facelift models are actually better than the face lift ones although many will likely disagree with that. Ok they've got less electonic gadgetry on them but then there's less to go wrong + the paint seems to be far better and they rust less. I've got both versions so I'm speaking from experience. Anyway good luck with yours.

I've had both, and the pre facelift was the rustier :D

I've had both, and the pre facelift was the rustier :D

I'm a bit surprised, I suppose it sometimes depends on whether you get a good one or a bad one, how it's been treated in the past, whether it's had poorly executed accident repairs etc. However, I have seen rusty examples of both versions - it's just that the facelift ones I've seen have had a lot more problems with what I'd call cosmetic rust, ie surface rust in silly places on the bodywork where rust should not be present. I do agree however, that both can have very significant rust for whatever reason but equally, both versions can be more or less totally rust free.

Here we go! Picked her up today (eventually, as I left the old car's MOT at home 25 miles away!). The MOT came back with no advisories so no complaints there but she wants handed over running on fumes. She was pinking slightly as got her to the petrol station. I always fill up a new car with jungle juice for the first tank just to give it an internal clean and that cost me £70! I'll be back to Sainsburys for the next tank! As in previous posts the car was sluggish but I found that the auto box was in Eco mode. A quick change to Standard helped. A few little niggles were found:

1) The wiper parks wherever it likes when it is swiched off and has no intermittant mode. Not a big problem but knarky just the same.

2) SRS light stays on for about a minute after ignition.

3) Loose bulb somewhere as the fault light shows an intermittant fault. Probably a rear bulb.

4) At 65mph+ you can feel the vibration of the road through the steering wheel. It doesnt affect the drive though. Also at this speed and under high revs there is a "rasping" noise. I shall check the exhaust system. It has a new rear box on the exhaust. I have heard this noise on other cars but has disappeared after an oil change.

For £995 I am not complaining! The car is an absolute gem. A little TLC and she will look great. The car has done 145k miles but the last service in the history was done at 119k, 2 years ago. I think I will put the car through a top level service at an Indy for piece of mind (anyone got a ballpark price I can expect?).

I had to drive through a torrential thunderstorm and she coped very well. The car felt very sturdy on the dual carriage way that was rapidly turning into a river. I also had her upto 70ishMPH (ahem?!?) and she would have easily carried on going. 70mph at 3000 rpm! I have had more powerful cars than a 1.8 but 3000rpm was reached at only 50mph on these!

I have still got to get used to the Automatic (I keep wiggling the stick when I stop to check for neutral) but believe I have got a sound car for a bargain price. I shall report back in once I have done a full tank of fuel or I get her booked in for a service.

That rasping noise might be a non-oem exhaust fitted to oem catalysts, or vice versa. I ran a c200 for 3 years as my uni carriage, sold it at 179k then bought a C230k. W202's are beautifully composed very strong little runners and there isn't a great deal that can go wrong with them if maintained.

That vibration might be bad balancing, or just a crappy tyre that you might have on one of the corners of the car.

If you need any parts, i am breaking a w202 so feel free to ask :)

Driving out and about today down some country roads when I loud rattling sound was coming from the rear of the car. I stopped to check as I thought I hadn't shut the boot properly. I found it was the exhaust rattling (new box as well) and I gave it a kick. Didn't rattle after that. I guess as adam230K said above it was a non-OEM part on the exhaust. Can I get it tightened or packed to stop it rattling or do you think an inferior part has been put on that will eventually rattle itself into oblivion? As an aside, I know Merc parts are expensive so what about the exhaust system.

Now to the full service and auto box service. After a trawl through the forum I have found a recommended Indy in Stowmarket, Suffolk (25 miles from me) who I have e-mailed for a quote. I might phone another in Loddon, near Norwich but I hear this one, although good, charges Merc dealer labour rates.

Last edited:
Welcome nebulaman. As others have said great cars these 202's. I had an "M" Reg 1.8 Auto, not the Sport though. Ran it for about a year with no problems at all. Only sold it when I needed a little more space in the cabin internals which is why I now run 124s.

put my own blog type website online about my experiences with the c180 w202,and other bits n bobs,maybe its of interest to c180 owners,more being added as i go along or until my car gets crushed by a truck mercedes c180-w202

Thanks to being off work on paternity leave and annual leave (5 weeks off!) I haven't covered much mileage. The trip computer shows just over 100 miles so not enough to get the feel of her. I had a trip out to the local chinese which is about 5 miles for me down country roads. Time for a thrash! She corners really well abeit a bit of play in the steering wheel. The auto box does its own thing. When I kick down it takes a while for the gear to change down but sometimes it doesn't want to change. Thats probably me just getting used to an auto box. Then I noticed the brake wear light was flashing as I went over the bumps in the road. When I applied the brake the light was on steady. Now, to me this means worn pads, worn disks or dodgy wiring. Not knowing much about brakes is this an expensive job? Is replacing then urgent or is it an advance warning? I am due to book the car in to a local Indy at the end of the month when they are back off holiday so glad this has come up now.

Just thought I would phone another Indy to compare prices. I know the Indy comes highly recommended but their prices are high. They quoted the following:
Full B Service: £320
Auto Box Service: £180
Front Brake Pads, Disks and Sensors: £300
Air Filter: £15
Fuel Filter: Can't read my writting but its either £9, £19 or £98???

The Indy I will use (also recommened) quoted the following:
Full B Service: £209
Auto Box Service: £95
I have e-mailed him for a quote on the brakes. Also, from his e-mail I don't think sparks, coolant, brake fluid and filters are included in the service but I could be wrong. The more expensive Indy included everything but the filters.

Is it a false economy to get the brakes done at a chain like Kwik fit, National etc?

Looks like I will be spending between £600 - £800 on a car that cost £995! I would rather spend that sort of money on a merc than my old citroen picaaso.

I have noticed the car is fitted with DOTZ alloys. Any good?

Oh no! I have seen a C32 AMG for £8495. Hands are sweaty and pulse is racing. Have I caught the Merc bug?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom