C180, C200 or 318i

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercedes lover

Car
Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 2003
I posted earlier about my mate looking at getting either C180 or C200 now there another addition to his list a 318i, he's looking at getting it on v or w reg plate. Any advice from anyone who's driven 318i and c180/c200, also he preferes manual! Any advice want on acceleration and motorway driving? :eek:

I test drove a 318i estate manual (in silver !!!) before buying the C200 . . . it drove very nicely . . . quite different to the MB . . plenty of overtaking power on the motorway and the steering was more direct than the MB.

I still chose the MB in the end as it had more kit, offered better value and more space, and you just can't beat seeing that star at the end of the bonnet ! :D Also, my other half didn't like the seats on the BM - they were much firmer than the MB and whilst probably providing more support on long journeys were a tad uncomfortable.

Matter of personal choice at the end of the day - they are both very competent cars.

S.

sym said:
I test drove a 318i estate manual (in silver !!!) before buying the C200 . . . it drove very nicely . . . quite different to the MB . . plenty of overtaking power on the motorway and the steering was more direct than the MB.

I still chose the MB in the end as it had more kit, offered better value and more space, and you just can't beat seeing that star at the end of the bonnet ! :D Also, my other half didn't like the seats on the BM - they were much firmer than the MB and whilst probably providing more support on long journeys were a tad uncomfortable.

Matter of personal choice at the end of the day - they are both very competent cars.

S.
Is your car manual or auto?

I had a C200 manual (136BHP) which was a nice car.

Prior to that I had a E30 318iS. The BMW will have a nicer sounding engine (even the 4 pots sound good!) and a nicer gear change. Not sure what BHP the 318i is, but expect it's less than the C200.

Knowing how different the two cars are, I would say your friend MUST drive both and will probably make an instant decision.

One of my best buddies has had BMW's since we both had them as teenagers. I got him to test drive a C240 before he bought a 323i (both about 170BHP). He thought the Merc was horrible and it made his choice so much clearer.

sym said:
My Merc is a Silver Automatic . . . . . the most popular choice :D

S.
Agree with that silver and auto sell it anytime you want plus get top money :D

GrahamC230K said:
I had a C200 manual (136BHP) which was a nice car.

Prior to that I had a E30 318iS. The BMW will have a nicer sounding engine (even the 4 pots sound good!) and a nicer gear change. Not sure what BHP the 318i is, but expect it's less than the C200.

Knowing how different the two cars are, I would say your friend MUST drive both and will probably make an instant decision.

One of my best buddies has had BMW's since we both had them as teenagers. I got him to test drive a C240 before he bought a 323i (both about 170BHP). He thought the Merc was horrible and it made his choice so much clearer.
Good advice will tell him! cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom