C180 coupe won't turn over.......?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Neepem

Car
Mercedes c180 coupe
I recently purchased a C180 coupe it has been stood for about 8 months, it was put through its mot and then just parked, "It will not turn over" the ignition turns on, everything works as it should but won't turn over, I was told it was probably the EIS unit by an auto electrician who carried out a diognostic test, so sent it away to be tested £80 later and it works perfectly, but it still won't turn over! I have tried a different battery, I have tried to jump it from another car, I have checked all the fuses.........
Any help with this matter would be much appreciated as I'm at the end of my tether

Neil.......

Gonna sound daft, take the plugs out of it and see if you can turn the engine over by hand OR put a socket and ratchet on the Crank and advise if you can do the same.. turn it over by hand that is..

When you try to start it does it just click?? or chatter??

No, no clicking nothing whatsoever and does turn over by hand, it seems electrical.....

Thank you very much for your reply I'm pulling my hair out with this(if I had hair) I don't want to put it into Mercedes as they are quoting hundreds of pounds that would right of the card worth....

Thank you very much for your reply I'm pulling my hair out with this(if I had hair) I don't want to put it into Mercedes as they are quoting hundreds of pounds that would right of the card worth....

What are Merc quoting you hundreds of pounds for ? They have not even seen the car yet :dk: Find a good indi who has star diagnostic kit and get some codes pulled and go from there.

Give the starter motor/solenoid a few taps with something long, don’t hit it, just tap it and try to start again.
Any noise from the starter when an assistant tries to start the car while you listen?

Dec

Ok I have had the starter checked and alls good there but after refitting and testing the feeds the main supply is good but there is no feed to the solenoid wire, I've checked the fuses and all seams good.
There is now a message on the dash saying restraint failure shown in the picture below that wasn't there before......

Ok this is where I’m at............
I bought a 2001 C200 W203 coupe auto from a friend, it has low mileage for the year but has been stood for about 10 months, it will not start off the key but i fitted a push button to the starter and its starts perfectly, it will drive but wont change up only 1st and reverse, i have had the ignition switch tested and its fine, you can put the key in turn it to position 1 then 2 and all ignition lights come on it comes up with abs fault and engine start fault and the center abs light is perminantly on.
It is such a nice example but i just cant figure the problem out, would it have anything to do with the TIM or transition valve and solenoids?
Any advice would be welcome.....

Seems like a problem with the gearbox synchronisation ie the ECU not seeing the right gear. This could cause your not starting problem as the car thinks its in gear.
Are there any fault codes shown.

I also recently bought a W202 C180 with same issue all I done was remove the air filter boot and spray Bradex easy start and it started , mine had been sat for 12months

I also recently bought a W202 C180 with same issue all I done was remove the air filter boot and spray Bradex easy start and it started , mine had been sat for 12months

Read the thread. It's not the same fault, so Bradex won't solve it, I'm afraid.

Neepem, the fault codes will have to be read with a Star to tell you what's wrong with it. Get that done and come back to us.

Thanks for the help hopefully getting codes read this week.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom