C180 Head Gasket Problem??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

babz

Car
1996 Mercedes C180
OK, so doing my usual checks under the bonnet last week and discovered some sludge under the coolant filler cap :eek:, needless to say, was a bit shocked.

Seeing this, checked the oil filler cap, no sludge on there. Checked the dipstick, nothing there either. temperature is fine, climbs quite slowly and stays at 82-85 degrees, (climbs to around 90 in traffic). normal right? performance is still the same aswell. :confused:

So today I've popped the bonnet again and checked the coolant filler cap... same sludge, little bit more than there was last week. But still nothing on the dipstick or oil filler cap, and again, temperature is spot on as is the performance.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance!

If you have a leak between a oilway and one of the coolant passages then you will tend to get oil in the coolant rather than the other way round, as the oil system operates at a higher pressure.

If its definitely engine oil you have in there it's most likely a faulty/leaking head gasket - wasn't there an issue with the cylinder head bolts on some of the M111 engines?

Will

There is no smell coming from the sludge at all. ive had a head gasket blown on a Rover i owned donkeys years ago, and the sludge on that was thick, rather like mayonnaise. the sludge on the Merc is very thin. does this still mean it could be a head gasket issue?

A compression test will go a long way to letting you know.

Well, if it's an oily sludge that's in the coolant it has to come from somewhere - is your car manual or automatic - there's an outside chance it could be a leaking ATF cooler into the radiator (?)

Other than that, it would have to be engine oil, does the coolant smell of anything unusual?

Ianswing i had the rad flushed about 5000 miles ago, and topped up with coolant and water. But every so often ive topped it up with just water, as the levels used to drop every 2-3 weeks. So at the moment it is i would say 10% coolant. the water does seem to be a bit murky (lime green with a hint of brown?)

Will my car is an auto, how can i find out if it is the ATF getting into the coolant? and no, there is no smell at all from the coolant all.

The best way I could describe the gunk on the coolant filler cap is, it looks to be very light brown in colour, and thin with the same texture of washing up liquid. (I know, i should have taken a pic of it.. sorry)

Will said:
If you have a leak between a oilway and one of the coolant passages then you will tend to get oil in the coolant rather than the other way round, as the oil system operates at a higher pressure.

If its definitely engine oil you have in there it's most likely a faulty/leaking head gasket - wasn't there an issue with the cylinder head bolts on some of the M111 engines?

Will

on m111 you have to use new bolts

it may be the engine is operating too much at low temp.

is your normal journey short ?

you say it takes a long time to reach normal temp, therefore change the thermostat (cheap enough) and then see what the state of play is.

no compression test as yet, will be doing this next wednesday.

I travel to and from work 10 miles both ways, the temp is at 80 after about 5 mins or so? (It doesnt shoot up at a alarming pace) but doesnt climb much higher than 83 degrees. in total i say i drive the car a minimum of 100 miles per week aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom