C180 horn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gozoman

Car
Mercedes C180 Blue Efficiency
My car is a 2013 W204 Mercedes C180 Blue Efficiency. I love the car but there is one thing that really annoys me and that is the horn. You almost have to stand on it to get it to work. My last car a light touch operated the horn. Is this a problem with my car or is it common on Mercedes? Either way is there anything that can be done to sort it? May seem trivial but there have been several occasions when I needed to sound a warning and was unable to do so due to the pressure required to get it working.

I would say, it is NOT correct. The horn is a warning and should operate with normal pressure, not so that you have to consciously have to think about how to push it (if that makes sense). Sounds like the actuator is faulty and needs looking at. Possibly a quick and cheap fix. Also possible, it requires removing the airbag removing and the battery disconnecting first, to avoid (a) detonating the airbag (b) setting off the airbag warning.

I am not sure if it is all one assembly or if the horn uses the reluctor rung on the steering?

Somebody else here will know if it can be fixed by pulling that assy?

The 204 is the stiffest horn I've had, but find it easier to operate if you, instead of pressing the middle, press either end with your thumb.

I've had the steering wheel off including the airbag/horn arrangement, it's attached with two bolts from the back and has springs either side. If pressing in the middle, you're pressing all springs. It's easier from one end, if it's a quick polite peep you're after, but you can always just give it a bash in the middle, rather than "pushing" like a button, it's not fragile.

You can't adjust it without dismantling the airbag assembly.

It looks like this:
7_051013170836_4.jpg

You could possibly mess with it and clip the springs, but I wouldn't. It's probably like that for a good reason and you don't want to mess with the airbag.

Last edited:
I would say, it is NOT correct. The horn is a warning and should operate with normal pressure, not so that you have to consciously have to think about how to push it (if that makes sense). Sounds like the actuator is faulty and needs looking at. Possibly a quick and cheap fix. Also possible, it requires removing the airbag removing and the battery disconnecting first, to avoid (a) detonating the airbag (b) setting off the airbag warning.

I am not sure if it is all one assembly or if the horn uses the reluctor rung on the steering?

Somebody else here will know if it can be fixed by pulling that assy?

Yeah, consciously having to think about how to push itmakes perfect sense as that is what I find myself doing. I don't think will be messing around with the airbag though. Might have to leave it in to get sorted. Maybe someone will know roughly what the cost should be.

The 204 is the stiffest horn I've had, but find it easier to operate if you, instead of pressing the middle, press either end with your thumb.

I've had the steering wheel off including the airbag/horn arrangement, it's attached with two bolts from the back and has springs either side. If pressing in the middle, you're pressing all springs. It's easier from one end, if it's a quick polite peep you're after, but you can always just give it a bash in the middle, rather than "pushing" like a button, it's not fragile.

You can't adjust it without dismantling the airbag assembly.

It looks like this:
7_051013170836_4.jpg

You could possibly mess with it and clip the springs, but I wouldn't. It's probably like that for a good reason and you don't want to mess with the airbag.

Funny you should say that as I have been pressing the side rather than the middle so mine must be really stiff.

I never use my horn, it gets used twice a year,

1 before the MOT and 1 during the MOT :crazy:

so i dont know how stiff it is :dk:

I'd suggest you see if anyone you know can let you have a go on theirs.

I'm sure that's just the way it's supposed to be, the reason is because the 12 buttons are also on the unit, so it has to be stiff so that you don't accidentally press the horn while pressing a button.

Some other mercs, like a lot of the AMG models have a different set up, where the airbag/horn unit is a separate, smaller pod, and that'll likely be much easier to press. They only have 2 springs, one either side, ours have 4 springs.

Ours have the buttons on the wheel, so the firmness if for a reason, but have a go on someone elses to confirm.

Then man up. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom