C180 Misfire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OllieCollie

Car
C180
Please help, I have changed the battery on my 2004 C180 after it standing so much, now it has a misfire, the code is as below. I have changed the coil pack on cylinder 4 and it has had new plugs. The car has genuinely done 35000 miles.Mercedes C180 fault.jpg

Swap the coil from number 4 to one of the others and see if the fault follows it

Are we talking about a car with a M271 engine and the notorious cam chain that jumps a tooth and will still run , but just a bit rough until it blows up and sends the car straight to the scrapyard , not passing GO and not collecting £200 on the way ?

Are we talking about a car with a M271 engine and the notorious cam chain that jumps a tooth and will still run , but just a bit rough until it blows up and sends the car straight to the scrapyard , not passing GO and not collecting £200 on the way ?
Bloody hell 😅 I havent seen a modis unit in a long time.

1. Is this a genuine coil and not a crappy 3rd party make? If so; like w1ghty said; swap the coils around and see if you are still getting a misfire. Also check the correct plugs were used. I say this because I have seen mechs use the cheapest quality plugs ECP will supply; which arent necessarily the right type / correct gap etc..

2. This engine suffers from camshaft gears which wear out; thus allowing a stretching cam chain to jump and cause above issues. Easy to diagnose; whip off the valve cover and take a look at the two camshaft gears.

Whilst the mileage is low; the camshaft issue can happen on lower-mileage cars so please do not rule this out on the basis of low mileage alone.

Ollie. google 'M271 cam chain issues' and don't run the engine until you are sure of what you are looking at. I wouldn't expect problems at 35K miles but they have been known to fail even with a full MB service history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom