C180 Tailgate issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peter culver

Car
C180 (W202) 1998
Does anyone know whether I can open the tailgate on my C180 Sport without having the battery connected? Obviously my key doesn't work and I've taken the battery out to charge it up. If I cannot open up the boot, I cannot re-fit the battery...........Can I by-pass the main battery cables and connect the battery upto some other power sources under the bonnet that would then allow me to use the electronic key fob to open the boot or at least allow me to use the switch on the centre console to open it - thanks in advance for your help.

Pete

This happened to me too mate, jump the car from under the bonnet and keep pressing the unlock button and you'll get just enough juice in the system to spring the boot catch (it's only a release and not a proper motor luckily)

Do you want me to post pics of the jumping points under the bonnet??

Have a look on the bulkhead just towards the passenger side to see if you have small box, where the lid comes off and there are 2 battery terminals in there, if not post back

do the facelift 202 cars not have keyholess in the boot lid?

do the facelift 202 cars not have keyholess in the boot lid?

Yes but when the power goes the vacuum pump cannot operate and so when it closes it stays closed unless you jump start the car.

There's a small black box with a cross that looks like a scottish flag, underneath it should be 3 terminals, connect the red positive to this and the other black negative to any other bolt on the car, this should give you the jump you need.

ok. i guess the prefacelift like mine, where the key sticks out will still work.

Are you serious?
when i had a flat battery, i just flipped out the key. stuck it in the boot a few turns and presto. it was open.

Last edited:
Mine's the same, I have the push out key and yet this wouldnt open it when the battery was dead.

Did you manage to get into it in the end mate?

yes the procedure is to jump using the points in the bonnet, however only turn the ignition on at this stage... open the boot and then jump start properly..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom