C180 W202 Exhaust Part / Creaking Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamesie

Car
1995 C180 Espirit
Heard a creaking noise on my 1995 C180 W202 last week and took it into a high street chain garage to see it there was any problem with the exhaust - on putting it on the ramp it became apparent that one of the exhaust fixings had broken (see attached picture taken under the vehicle facing towards the frunt - quite blurry as it was taken on a mobile but you'll see the rusty fixing just to the left of the start of the 'U').

The mechanic told me I'd be better off going to an independent garage to get this fixed / welded. I've tried to find a replacement for the rusty bracket online but I'm struggling a bit by the fact I don't know what this part is called - any info much appreciated! The mechanic suggested the welding would cost £50 - £60 would this be about right?

Since I bought the car in February 2009 I've heard a kind of clunking when pulling away from time to time, particularly just after changing gear. I'm wondering if this could have anything to do with this broken bracket, but I guess if this had been broken at the time of my last MOT (February 2011) it would have been picked up on at that point. Any ideas on this?

Thanks in advance for help!

James

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 62
hi its just a quick weld job

on that bracket they can break when old and speed bumps

not a big prob

hi its just a quick weld job

on that bracket they can break when old and speed bumps

not a big prob

Cheers for the quick response Trevor - any idea what the bracket is called so I can make sure I source the right part?

Hoping to get this welded tomorrow - can someone tell me if I need a new bracket (having never seen this complete I can't tell if a part is missing) and if so, what it is called in order that I can source it?

Cheers

Jamesie

Hi Jamesie,

the bracket you require is actually part of the exaust down pipes. you cannot by the bracket seperate.

i had the same issue on my 124 where the bracket had come away from the weld on the down pipes.

Since, i have got this sorted and the bracket is now secure. In terms of fixings, it plays a very important part of keeping manifold bolts and nuts (exit manifold) stress free.

I grew to learn this as i had to get both snapped manifold bolts at the end of the block replaced. I only came to the conclusion that it was caused by stress over time from knocks and bumps as it was the only thing that was supporting the down pipes. The set up you have on your 180 is the same as the 124 220.

the best thing to do is a weld.

while the guy is under there ask him to check the rest of the exaust mountings right through to the back box.

I believe you should have another bracket in and around the Cat area. basically there are two brackets supporting the first section of your exaust.

..btw get some waxoyl or maybe think about treating around the areas where your front arms bolt into! looking a bit rusty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom