C180 W202 fuel and radiator sensor faults

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maldini15

Hi.

I've just bought a 96 C180 Classic, which is actually in excellent condition except for 2 points. That being the coolant level sensor and the fuel gauge sensor. Coolant sensor always shows it requires fluid but is full and has no leak, petrol gauge intermittently tells me there is petrol in the tank when I fill it up, but most of the time reads empty.

I have sourced replacement sensors but wondered of anyone has any feedback on how difficult it would be to do it myself (I am quite mechanically minded) and whether there is any documentation/instructions available?

Any help appreciated - thanks

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
Coolant level sensor if it is the same type of tank as mine two cars is very easy to do just unbolt the header tank from the bulkhead and the sensor is fitted in the tank on the side against the bulkhead and simply unplug the cables and undue the big nut holding in the sensor. Though be aware that your light could be caused by a faulty washer botttle sensor due to the way they are wired together.
Your fuel gauge sensor could just be simply be dirty and a very common fault on your age car though they did improve the sensor you could just overdose the fuel tank with injector cleaner or a good fuel additive for a couple of fill ups and I can pretty much guarentee it will sort it self out.

The level sensor is on the very top of the radiator on your car and common to fault. Be gentle with the wiring as it can be brittle.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom