C180 W202 radiator cap - overflow tube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamesie

Car
1995 C180 Espirit
Just got the car back from having a new water pump fitted.

Noticed a stray tube coming from the radiator cap, which the mechanic told me was simply an overflow. I hadn't noticed this before...

On the way home I've noticed the coolant level light coming on, never seen this happen before. I know the coolant was replaced by the mechanic as he said he had put antifreeze in for me...obviously I need to check the coolant level when the engine cools down but I wonder if this overflow tube may have something to do with this. Garage closed at lunchtime.

Any thoughts? Its a 1995 model.

Probable that there was air in the system folling the pump replacement and after driving the car for a while this has been forced out how. Top-up and keep and keep a close eye over the next couple of days.

As above. Assuming the mechanic hasn’t left the system in a leaking state the coolant level has dropped due to air pockets being cleared in the system.

It is usual for a further top up being needed after a coolant change, your mechanic should have given you a pint of coolant so you could top up yourself if as now needed, you should go back to him for a top up.

The tube is normal, it is the overflow.

Dec

Probably been overfilled,there is a fill level mark about 2 inches down the tube that the cap sits on. You need to turn the heater knobs on to full heat, take it for a 20 minute run to make sure its been up to full operating temp,(because it may have an air lock) make sure your heater is properly HOT, turn it off, & allow to go cold, probably about 3 - 4 hours, then recheck your water level.

Thanks very much to all you guys for taking the time to respond. Will check out your suggestions and let you know how I get on!

Iv owned my 202 C220 about 2 months,& it's my 1st merc. Quite a steep learning curve aint they ? Since then iv fitted tow bar,water pump,drive belt, plugs etc, apart from having all the under wing plastic guards off. Have to say, NOTHING is the same way of fitting as any other car iv ever owned, & thats at least 12 cars. Love your city,been there many times collecting up piping music etc.

Iv owned my 202 C220 about 2 months,& it's my 1st merc. Quite a steep learning curve aint they ? Since then iv fitted tow bar,water pump,drive belt, plugs etc, apart from having all the under wing plastic guards off. Have to say, NOTHING is the same way of fitting as any other car iv ever owned, & thats at least 12 cars. Love your city,been there many times collecting up piping music etc.

Certainly is a learning curve mate!

Problem solved today by adding roughly 1.5 litres of coolant to the radiator. That such a volume was missing obviously raised concerns that I had a leak, but went for a good spin and no problems at all. There must have been a lot of air!!

Thanks once again to all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom