c180 w203 high oil consumption. Help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c180081c

Car
C250 AMG Sport Coupe
Hi guys,

I have a 2002 c180 w203, just hit 90,000 has had regular oil services with fuchs oil and decent filters. I have recently noticed oil around the breather hose coming from the rocker cover on top of the engine but after monitoring over the past month or so the car is using oil and requires a litre or so to top up over a relatively short period/distance. Is this a regular thing? I have looked around the net and can't find anything similar. The car isn't down on power and the coolant is pristine. No puddles on the floor and the engine bay is mint due to my ocd and no signs on the sides of the engine. Any help is appreciated as I have a long drive coming up.

Cheers

As stated above,
- small brass breathers at intake manifold
- cracked / hardened tubes to intake
- issues with re-circulation tube at top of cam cover
- leaks
- oil in water leak (gasket)

Check coolant for oil.

My M271 always had some oil weeping around the top breather hose, but it does not need oil added between servicing, so what you see on your car in that location might not be related to your high oil consumption or leak.

Ensure you are not over filling with oil. Keep level between min and max.

I had a small oil leak from the oil/ air separator. I took it off the engine and opened it to find a torn membrane so I replaced it. However it was leaking for a long time and during the period I did not experience high oil consumption.

I had high oil consumption on my 190E. It had done circa 80,000 miles and was consuming circa 1 litre per 1000 miles. MB confirmed that this is within normal acceptable range which I found unacceptable. Got dealership to investigate and found that the valve seals needed replacement. After replacement of the valve seals, the oil level did not change between services.

Funny thing was that the dealership in Redhill quoted one hour labour to replace all the valve seals plus the new valve parts (circa £60). I bit their arm off at this price and was very happy with the results.

Breather pipe is an issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom