C180K, C200K conversion to C230K with M271 series 240, 246, 248

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

miro

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 slightly modified
After many hours of sifting through the data and checking 6 VINS against each other I can suggest the following findings about the M271.

* If the engine is 2005 spec then it will be specially upgraded already with low noise parts that were recently introduced.

* In all M271 2005 the 5 speed transmission is identical

* In all M271 the crankcase and 5 speed auto slip ring are identical

* all results exclude CGI and SLK for now.

DOES NOT APPLY TO CGI
-----------------------------------
[series 240, 246, 248 only]

C180K, C200K and C230K differ in the following ways
---------------------------------------------------
- piston
- supercharger (only 2 models - one for 230K and one for others.
- ECU (engine control unit)
- Some differences in intercooler and hoses are possible with year of build.

= 140Kw in total without pulley mods

RESULT
--------
In some cases that means 20-40Kw improvement.

CAVEAT
--------
This mod uses only MB parts and should only be done with informed risk and has no implied warranty.

Miro. I just found this thread. I might be being thick so what parts are you suggesting we change -just remap the ECU to C23ok settings?

Surely he's saying that the 230k has a a different supercharger, pistons, AND ECU, so you'd need to change all three to get the manufacturers desired effect ! (But your transmission should be OK!)

S.

sym said:
Surely he's saying that the 230k has a a different supercharger, pistons, AND ECU, so you'd need to change all three to get the manufacturers desired effect ! (But your transmission should be OK!)

S.

Indeed you are right. There are two SC's, two piston types and 3 ECU. You can make 3 variants with 2 x 2 combinations. Obviously there is no logical variant in the ECU as it is specific for a task (but there are 3 versions)

I believe that in developer mode you can reset the engine type of the ECU.

PISTON SC
Low Low
High Low
High High

This is not the real matrix but I am postulating that these compression combinations make the 3 engine types.

So I need to get into developer mode on the ECU. What about just adjusting the Superchargers boost settings or getting the bypass valve to stay shut longer!

180k and 200k are identical, it's just the software in the ECU that limits the output (and maybe a pulley for the SC). That's why they are called internally m271 and m271red (red for reduced output)

THe 230k engine is called m271evo and has the different pistons etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom