C180K-electric mirror fault

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by surebet, Sep 7, 2008.

1. surebet

surebet Active Member

Car:
    C180 ELEGANCE SE
    I have an C180 (2002)owned from new. Last night I discovered the passenger side door mirror would not respond to the up and down movement from switch. Drivers side ok and power reaching passenger side ok as can fold mirror in and move mirror from side to side, however trying to move mirror up and down impossible. The mirror has not been hit or damaged in any way. I would appreciate if any member can point me in the right direction in where to start in locating and repairing fault. There is no memory mode for mirrors on this model. Would rather try and fix this myself . Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance.

2. OP
    OP
    surebet

surebet Active Member

Car:
    C180 ELEGANCE SE
    Sorry I should have been more specific, I can't find the correct method of removing plastic cover (together with blinking LED's) to allow me access to guts of mirror mechanism . Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

:confused:
    [​IMG]

3. nick mercedes

nick mercedes MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    If you fold it in, there's a clip which needs to be depressed, and then the cover slides off.

4. OP
    OP
    surebet

surebet Active Member

Car:
    C180 ELEGANCE SE
    Thanks nick mercedes for quick reply, any idea if I need special tool and what does clip look like.

:confused:

5. nick mercedes

nick mercedes MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    The clip is the silver one in the centre of the picture:

http://cart.euromercmercedesparts.co.uk/index.php?p=product&id=2034&parent=0

You get to it when the mirror is folded, there's a slot that allows access to it, use a flat bladed screwdriver, and you can depress the clip, which allows the mirror cover to slide off.

6. OP
    OP
    surebet

surebet Active Member

Car:
    C180 ELEGANCE SE
    Thanks nick mercedes for info and superb photograph, will have a go next weekend to try and rectify fault now I have the information to gain access to mirror internals.

:D