C180K W204 EIS fault

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kompresor

Car
C180 Kompressor
I have C180K W204 model of 2008. The key is turning but the car is not even cranking or starting, the dash doesnt light up, i have power to the radio, hazards lights and parking lights only, clock and dash illumination with the mileage.

Diagnostic showed an EIS fault and related errors in Steering lock..my steering is in "unlock" condition, the diagnostic guy said i should replace the EIS. I called the local garage to arrange for bringing it in then described the problem and was told the problem is with the "Steering lock" - which needs to be taken ou and reprogrammed.

Now i have two independent people almost saying the same thing but have different solutions to the problem. If there is anyone who can advise i would apreciate.

Sounds very much like the steering lock.
If you.....
Remove and refit the ignition relay in the front Sam ( fuse box ), the ignition should come to life.
Then bridge the starter relay and the engine should start.
Locate the ignition and starter relay before you start the process then proceed as follows..
Turn key to ignition
Within a couple of seconds remove and refit ignition relay ( ignition should come alive )
Then bridge the starter relay from terminal 30-87 and the vehicle should start.
This is only useful if the steering lock is 'off'
I have tried and tested this method many times

Excellent information. I'm filing that away in case I ever do have that problem. I'm sure I read of someone who removed the steering locked or rather tied it back out of the way so it couldn't lock the steering. Is that possible ?

If the car immobiliser will prevent theft of the car why do we need steering locks that can leave is stranded in the middle of no where. I for one could manage without a steering lock and frankly would even take the risk of the car being stolen rather have one that is a sword of Damocles.

The eis looks for a message from the steering lock once it's released.
It can be tricked
If it's locked on 90% of the time it can be released and the vehicle will start anyway

Remember you are only creating a comand. MB drive authorisation systems have much more security built in than this!
My job is to find a way around a sticky situation.

Thanks for the response but i dont understand that language..its too technical

Hi all,

Thanks for highlighting that this could be a steering lock problem. I came across a post that insructed a few knocks on the steering rack or column with a mallet hammer. i tried that and it worked, drive the car for a couple of days then same problem. So i am just waiting to take it in for repairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom