C18K Auto gear, **** down probs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MSG2004

Car
GLE, AMG Line
Hello, as you have gathered, I need help with auto box quesry.

I had for 4 years a 53 plate C class 180k ClassicSE ith autobox - when going down hill I would knock down/tap down to 4th, 3rd,2nd, as required.

I bought a C Class C180k Avantgarde a month ago on the 07 plate, 9k on the clock - just driven down a steep hill, tapped down aut box, went straight to nd gear - tried on level road, went to 2nd one & 3rd he other.

Just read the car book - states holding the ger lever down will select appropriate gear bu did not hold down stick

Is the above normal and does he face lift C class have a different auto box V pre-face lif?
TIA

I am not to sure what you are asking? Can you be a bit clearer?

I think he means when it says say 3 in the display (i.e. nudged the gear lever a few times) that the car may take 2nd gear. Its not a manual overide, it works as a gear restrictor so the car won't go into a gear higher than the 3rd, it may however take a lower one.

The automati gearbox on my 53 plate c 180k which i had ran for 4 years, the gears would shift down by me tapping the stick to down, so it would go to 4, then 3, then 2 and then 1 if i tapped it again & tap up todrive as required.

For the fist time today, I've sed the manual **** on the auto box coming down a hill the gear went straight to 2nd gear - i tried on a level road at about 35mph and went to 3 one & second attempt went to 2nd - when parked, it goes direct to 1st which is right imo.

My query: Why does the shift not go down in sequence, ie, 4/3/2/1 (i am aware that by holding the auto stick, it wil take it down to the most appropriate gear but i only tpped it

TIA

I think he means when it says say 3 in the display (i.e. nudged the gear lever a few times) that the car may take 2nd gear. Its not a manual overide, it works as a gear restrictor so the car won't go into a gear higher than the 3rd, it may however take a lower one.

yes!

in the pre-face lift c class, i would tap down in sequence but this car appears not to allow this

TIA

I think it changes down to the most appropriate gear for the speed of the vehicle. I don't think you have a problem.

cheers

i will try on a dual carriageway at about 40mph - so it should go to fourth gear - i will make sure there is no vehiclecose ehind me just in case it goes to second:D

i will report back -if it does go to 2 thenits a prob - if it goes to third, then i will speed up & see if the box goes to 4th

TIA

Hello
Tested cr as stated - al good!!

@ 50mph, knocked down to 4th gear - so its a slight different gerabox to that of y previous w203

Cheers:)

If you 'tip' the lever (ie., a quick tap and then let go) it will drop one gear. If you press and hold it in position it will drop to the lowest gear possible for the current roadspeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom