C200 AMG 2010 - Problem with Headlights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G12GEL

Car
C200 AMG
Hi all!
Ive got myself a c200 diesel 2.1 its the eco one, It came with standard halogen bulbs which i dislike lol but they did work :),
So i installed some H7 leds, started getting problems with one light cutting out simple on and off with the lights and they be fixed untill it did this again
So i went out and got myself some HIDs H7, Fitted them lovely job nice and bright :)
Got down the road , one went out wont restart unless i turn off engine and restart the car,
Now its got the point where they both cut out and wont restart could be driving down a country lane and boom all lights gone bar sidelights and mainbeam,
What can i do to fix this? anyone had similar issues? Should i jst go back to standard halogen bulbs?
Thanks in advanced
:)

Yes, go back to the halogen bulbs. Both conversions you've done are MoT failures and probably blinding others (when they work).
If you need greater light output try the upgraded bulbs from the likes of Osram, their Nightbreakers are pretty good.

Yes, go back to the halogen bulbs. Both conversions you've done are MoT failures and probably blinding others (when they work).
If you need greater light output try the upgraded bulbs from the likes of Osram, their Nightbreakers are pretty good.
Will take alook Thanks

Your only legal option is halogens, and as above Osram Nightbreakers are often recommended, I've hadthem in my S204 and previous S203 and they are so much better than standard bulbs. There's a few different varieties - I think original NB and NB+ are history, but there's still Ultimate and Laser (now next feneration rather than original). I have ultimates in dip and Laser in main, don't find the Lasers any better than the Unlimiteds just more expensive. Have not tried the Laser Next Generations though.
2 x Osram Night Breaker (Nightbreaker) Unlimited Headlight/Headlamp Bulbs - Pair | eBay
OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER LASER (NEXT GENERATION) +150% H1 H3 H4 H7 H8 H11 HB3 HB4 | eBay

Apart for the obvious legal issues, the MoT failure, potential insurance issue, and the risk to oncoming drivers (and yourself)...

Some members here tried H7 LED conversion bulbs, and the general comments are:

(a) Very bright white light :thumb:
(b) They emit dispersed light rather than a directed beam :(
(c) They are bulky and don't fit well in the existing space, often causing moisture to enter the headlamp from under the rubber cover :(
(d) They often overheat - in spite of the built-in fan unit :(

Obviously, some are better than others, but all-in-all they are best avoided.

Just to dot the I/cross the T about insurance : have a prang, investigators discover you have non legal headlights (HID's or LED's in a halogen fitting), insurers invalidate your insurance as car is not street legal. Figuer the potential rest for yourself!

I agree but iv jst never seen the problems. Just to clarify Ive used HIDs for years, maybe in the citys there alot more into these 'illegal' lighting kits, ive had them on all my cars for the last 10 years, never been pulled for bright lights, i also ride motorbikes that have Bright lights, and to be honest alot of the new cars have very bright blinding lights, What are these super bright legal lights?!:p
But yeah thanks again all everyone im defo going to order those nightbreakers! Not going to halfords for them tho lol =D

Last edited:
I've tried the NB etc and they're quite good but expensive. I read on a VAG forum members using 80 and even 100w osram lamps.
I've got osram 80w for low beam and they work a treat but still not as good as I'd like but on par with NB and half the price.
I'm gonna try the 100w next.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

FYI, 80W and 100W bulbs are sold in the UK 'For off road use only'.

If your car came factory-fitted with Halogen headlamps, you have only two (legal) options for upgrading the light output:

1) Aftermarket high-performance Halogen bulbs e.g. Osram Nightbreaker or Philips Xtreme etc.

2) Full HID (Xenon) retrofit including complete headlamps, ballast units, headlamp washer system, and suspension height sensors.

Anything else is at your own risk...

Another vote for osram, I fitted a set a few years back to my r32 and they where 100% better. Good luck

As a good friend of mine commented a few years ago, advancing age means you are more aware of idiots with superbright headlights at night, and I have become more and more aware of this in the last few years. Normal halogens are 55/60W, but too many think they can get away with 80-100W headlights, and there are too few road coppers these days to pull these idiots who knowingly break the law and cause problems for oncoming road users. So often these daysI have to resort to using my main beams to let these clowns know that they are blinding me and causing problems - trouble is they then hit main beam and it's even worse!

I can see why fitting 100W bulbs for the dipped beam could be a problem, but I never quite understood why it was illegal to use 100W bulbs for the high beam.

Given that the high beam shouldn't be used when there's oncoming traffic or when you're behind someone anyway (because it will dazzle them), what difference would it make if the bulbs were 100W? No harm done, and the driver gets a better view of what's ahead when the road is clear of other traffic.

Anyway, that's the law... so I just use Osram NB 55W for both the dipped beam and main beam.

We may as well stop here. The OP has been doing this for over 10 years 'without problems' and is clearly not asking us about the legal/safety side of the issue but simply asking us how to help fix his illegal headlight faults.

Is your wiring up to 100w bulbs?
They're rated at 80w at 14v not 12v so suitable for use with the wiring.
I'm well aware they're for off road use but as the dip beam is so sh1t it doesn't effect on coming drivers.
You're probably right that 100w may be too much but depends at what voltage rating they are.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom