c200/c220 diesel issues.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deejay50

Car
2008 C220 cdi
Hi Guys. Just need a bit of advice. Looking to buy a c200 or c220 diesel. It will be 2007/2010 depending whats available in my budget 3-4 grand. Its going to have around 100,000 miles on it probably. Ive just retired and want to have something nice to drive. I'm just a bit worried after reading all the posts about problems etc. How likely am I to encounter a timing chain problem for example? Surely there must be thousands of cars that dont have the problem and we only hear about the bad ones or am I living in hope? Any words of advice from people that know a hell of a lot more than me will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

If you want ‘bomb-proof’ go for the older om646 (up to about ‘09ish). They have a duplex chain and are virtually indestructible. A taxi favourite. The 5 speed auto is too as long as it’s had a fluid change or two. Just watch for injector seal leaks and general neglect. The later 651 engine isn’t a disaster but has more to watch for inc the chain. Condition/maintenance way more important than mileage on these. Just my view, sure some will disagree!

Old rules really deejay,
If private..nice cars usually come from nice houses /areas & people. At that money your in a minefield of dodgy garages imo. FULL service history will be your best friend here with receipts & maybe call the garage if it goes to one place all the time for info on it. Good luck & happy hunting as dont know about you but i hate looking for cars.

If you want ‘bomb-proof’ go for the older om646 (up to about ‘09ish). They have a duplex chain and are virtually indestructible. A taxi favourite. The 5 speed auto is too as long as it’s had a fluid change or two. Just watch for injector seal leaks and general neglect. The later 651 engine isn’t a disaster but has more to watch for inc the chain. Condition/maintenance way more important than mileage on these. Just my view, sure some will disagree!
Thanks for that.

Old rules really deejay,
If private..nice cars usually come from nice houses /areas & people. At that money your in a minefield of dodgy garages imo. FULL service history will be your best friend here with receipts & maybe call the garage if it goes to one place all the time for info on it. Good luck & happy hunting as dont know about you but i hate looking for cars.
Thanks for that

I have the OM646 engine in my CLK with 114K on the clock. I bought it at 60K and apart from regular oil and filters it has been fine, the best MPG I have ever managed was 51 MPG between Aberdeen and Manchester. I had the gearbox serviced with TC flush when I first got it, other stuff includes pads, front discs, broken springs, serpentine belt, tensioner and idlers. The best tyres for me have been Dunlop RT, Falkens wore out very quickly, Continentals too noisey.

I done a journey from South East London to my home in Scotland, 62.8 mpg ( not hanging about). Get an average 53/54 mpg going shopping fairly locally. Car is a C220 cdi 2005, 158,000 miles on the clock. Are these figures about average.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom