C200 Charcoal Filter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deprince

Do I really need to change the charcoal filter, or are they just a joke

I suppose it depends if you lke breathing traffic fumes;)

Thanks, if stops the heater from working then i'll take it out Cheers

Are we talking Charcoal filter to do with emissions and which should be changed every 75000 miles and can cause the engine to run rough when they block, or are we talking pollen filter which is to do with the heater.....seems to be some cross information going on or is it just me????? :p

Vlad said:
Are we talking Charcoal filter to do with emissions and which should be changed every 75000 miles and can cause the engine to run rough when they block, or are we talking pollen filter which is to do with the heater.....seems to be some cross information going on or is it just me????? :p

The pollen filter is also a charcoal or carbon activated filter to remove odours and smells. All models with A/C should have the carbon filter although the non-carbon filter is identical in size and shape so either will fit.

Not me then :)

I would suggest that you do change the charcoal filter. If they block up they can start to make your car stink of fuel, can also lead to your engine using more fuel and also contribute to rough running and can effect the emmisions reading at MOT time.

As I say, these typically need replacing from 75,000 miles or so.

Cheers

Where are the charcoal emmisions filter fitted on the car? In the exhaust? Never come across one as yet.

If its a W124 it sits in the nearside front wing behind the plastic wheel arch cover.

Do diesels use charcoal emissions filters?

I've got a '99 C220 CDi and it stinks. It seems to be exhaust fumes and can be smelt inside and outside the car. I have replaced the cabin filter and that helped a little but as soon as I open the window I get a strong smell which make my head ache. The car otherwise runs fine, does nearly 40mpg and doesn't seem to have any fuel leaks.

The exhaust shop couldn't find anything wrong but I'm leaning more and more towards the cat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom