C200 Coupe only revs to 4000 RPM is this normal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

loveday

Car
Brabus 450 Widestar,XKR,XFR & CLC180
Hi people, my partner has got a 2005 Mercedes C200 Compressor coupe and for the first time this weekend I drove the car and I noticed that the car does not rev past 4000 RPM is this normal on these cars? I can’t imagine it is as the rev counter goes to 7000 RPM could someone let me know if this is normal:dk:.

Not sure if normal or not, but what mode was the gearbox in? And did it go higher if you put the accelerator down to the drop gear button?

Not sure if normal or not, but what mode was the gearbox in? And did it go higher if you put the accelerator down to the drop gear button?

Hi, the car was in neutral on the drive, and the engine was cold when I started the car and revved it the car wouldn’t go past 4000RPM’s

Hi,
In neutral or park this is normal, but in gear, driving, it should rev over 4000rpm.

It's in limp home mode.

Were you able to kick down etc, or was that also not working?

Hi, the car was in neutral on the drive, and the engine was cold when I started the car and revved it the car wouldn’t go past 4000RPM’s

That is normal when the car is stationary in P or N, all MB's are the same

Forget what I just said...it wont rev past 4000 on the driveway.

Hi,
In neutral or park this is normal, but in gear, driving, it should rev over 4000rpm.

I’ve never driven the car so I think I will have to drive the car later when I get home to see if it goes past 4000rpm, why would it only go to the 4000 rpm when in neutral? I’m not mechanically minded so just curious.

That is normal when the car is stationary in P or N, all MB's are the same

My C63 revs like thunder when in P or N mode and goes why past 4000rpm

I’ve never driven the car so I think I will have to drive the car later when I get home to see if it goes past 4000rpm, why would it only go to the 4000 rpm when in neutral? I’m not mechanically minded so just curious.

It's done to protect the motor...electronically regulated.

..............Why would it only go to the 4000 rpm when in neutral?.............

A better question would be why would it go over 4,000 rpm!

I do not believe there is any reason why it would be helpful for it to rev over 4,000 rpm in neutral.

Why are you doing this to a cold engine? :dk:

I actually think the rev limit is not for the engine but for the auto box. Something about revving an auto in neutral being less than ideal.

When you're stationary theres no air flow about the unit that aids cooling. Running it at 7k stationary will cause thermal strain on components and premature failure.

Thats why most rolling roads have a fan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom