C200 Diesel Estate - Cabin Smell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

packard352

Car
Mercedes CLK 320
Hi to all in Merc Land!

I'm still getting acquainted to my C200 Diesel Estate.

It's been many years since I've owned or driven a diesel, so I've noticed now that I'm getting a very diesel whiff inside the car's cabin. This tends to be after I've been driving a while and when I pull up to a stop, the inside of the car becomes very unappealing. I usually, drop a few of the windows and continue on and after putting the windows back up the smell is no more until the next time I have to come to a stop.

What would be the cause? And what can be done to prevent the small as I'm sure Mercedes didn't design the car with this intention originally.

Many thanks for any help and suggestion - cheers

Replace the cabin filter and see if that makes any difference. If the smell is really bad you could be leaking exhaust gases

If it only happens after you’ve been driving a while and the car is at a hot temperature it could be your emissions system burning soot. I know when my cars doing a regen I can smell it when I stop at traffic lights

From your other posts; this is a 2005 S203 with a OM646 engine ?
You are unlikely to have a DPF so it will not be that.
I would pull the engine cover and look for blow-by from the injector seats. You can hear the chuff-chuff sound. If it has been going on a while then you will have a carbon build-up around the base if the injectors.
Any reputable garage can fix that for you.

I have a diesel but not having such issues. If diesel smell is entering the cabin, it could become a bigger problem.

as above check engine bay, is there pool of fuel on foot of injectors, or moist/dripping on around hp pump/connectors

If as mentioned above your car is a 203 then it could be leaking injectors due to failed copper washer seals. Very common issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom