C200-T Elegance AMG Wheels - (Dune Buggy Special Edition!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sym

MB Enthusiast
Car
W204 C220CDI Sport
Here we go . . . . all fitted, and decided to keep the SLK centre caps which I think look pretty good with the AMG wheels

Very pleased with Service received from etyres.co.uk who did the whole thing on my drive in about 30 minutes, including fitting tyres, balancing with stick on weights, and swapping wheels.

Just got to sort the suspension out now - will enjoy/make do with the dune buggy / stilts effect for now though !

S.

see below for pics ....

Last edited:
I was right wasn't I? Really highlights the arch clearance! You need to load your car up with passengers or stuff for photos! :p

Looks great anyway :)

Shude said:
I was right wasn't I? Really highlights the arch clearance! You need to load your car up with passengers or stuff for photos! :p

Looks great anyway :)

Yeah - next mod will be lowering springs.

Has anybody here with the "Elegance" suspension as standard done some subtle lowering ? If so, what did you use, and what did it cost ?

S.

Looking good Sym :) Have you noticed the little MB stars on the shoulders of your F1 GS-D3's? Hehe they could almost be MB OEM tyres ;) :cool:

S.

sym said:
Yeah - next mod will be lowering springs.

Has anybody here with the "Elegance" suspension as standard done some subtle lowering ? If so, what did you use, and what did it cost ?

S.

A mate of mine with a classic estate put lowered springs on his and is now running about the same height as mine now.The springs were nothing special and only cost him in the region of £100,He did put the rears on himself and let someone else do the fronts.I think the front suspension on an estate is different than on a saloon from what I could understand :confused:.Now looking very good coupled to his 17" wheels.

The estate has different rear suspension, but the same front...
Fitting springs is an easy job on all 202's...

Ricky

wheels look great mate, look forward to hearing what results you get when you lower the car as I have the same problem at the moment, just a bit worried about loosing ride quality if I drop it.

Looks good Sym. Wait until you get a bill for a set of 17s mate - just had all 4 replaced on the Boxster...205 front 245 rear (I think), with correctly rated (N2) Michelin Pilot Sports....ouch!

Nice wheels.

Cheers Sym, they're very nice. I'm getting desperate to replace my standard Avantgarde rims because they are tatty, but can't find any identical standard ones to replace them with so was considering buying replica alloys.

Here's the auction I'm watching at the moment... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2477763677

They will probably end around £300 and then I have a similar amount to pay for tyres as you did. Really I'd rather buy some standard wheels and that'll do, but the ones I see are either tatty or the seller is unable to describe the condition.

Thanks, Ian.

Sym, I'm told that the best and often cheapest way to do lowering is to keep OEM ...if you want a drop of 30mm fit Esprit springs or 35mm fit Sport springs. If you like elegance ride fit classic/elegance dampers if you want lower,tuned but with the same damping as classic then fit esprit dampers as well, if you want the whole sports set up fit sport springs and dampers. Ithink sport springs are about £25 each!

Edit . the wheels are great and you got a good deal compared to a dealer!

Ian

Have the avantgarde rims refurbished if you have no other reason to change. . . jimmy has had this done recently to very good results - and the cost will be less than a new set of rims.

S.

sym said:
Ian

Have the avantgarde rims refurbished if you have no other reason to change. . . jimmy has had this done recently to very good results - and the cost will be less than a new set of rims.

S.
Blimey, its Greg quotes Sym day today!

Careful here, I've got the same wheels as Ian and mine are shagged. Its the polished rims on our wheels (and um, your new ones too old chap).

Apparently, M-B send them out of the factory with hammer on weights, the weight having smacked a large hole in the lacquer which is protecting your nice polished rim from the elements. Bit of water ingress, out of sight to all and sundry and its game over.

For a TOTAL repaint in genu-ine AMG silver I got quoted nigh on £400 (at Pristine in MK). They wouldn't entertain machining the edges and repolishing as they couldn't guarantee the finish would last more than a couple of months! :eek:

So a new set of rims it is for me....probably either AMG Style 4 or Style 3 (5 pointed star type fitted to SLK among others) - with stick on weights!

Greg

Careful here, I've got the same wheels as Ian and mine are shagged. Its the polished rims on our wheels (and um, your new ones too old chap).

If you want the polished edge - then agree, this will not last as long, even with a refurb. Jimmy had the whole wheel painted, to ensure longer life ! They still look pretty good - have seen them in real life.

Apparently, M-B send them out of the factory with hammer on weights, the weight having smacked a large hole in the lacquer which is protecting your nice polished rim from the elements. Bit of water ingress, out of sight to all and sundry and its game over.

Grrrr :crazy: Glad mine came with no tyres, in that case ! Was told by the guy that fitted mine that hammer on weights were simply not a good idea, due to the low profile tyres - he would only use stick ons.

For a TOTAL repaint in genu-ine AMG silver I got quoted nigh on £400 (at Pristine in MK). They wouldn't entertain machining the edges and repolishing as they couldn't guarantee the finish would last more than a couple of months! :eek:

Thats exbenzive . . . I know Sean (c240sport97) is about to have his AMG rims refurbished . . . wonder if there is any advantage to going for a non-lacquered mirror polished edge - which would be a pain to keep clean, but would look grrrrrreat, I bet ;) How much would it cost to have the edges refinished every few months ?

So a new set of rims it is for me....probably either AMG Style 4 or Style 3 (5 pointed star type fitted to SLK among others) - with stick on weights!

Sounds nice - I like the Style 3's . . couldn't find an affordable genuine set in 17s though (didn't want to go to 18s), but they will look great on your "E".

S.

Last edited:
R2D2 said:
Sym, I'm told that the best and often cheapest way to do lowering is to keep OEM ...if you want a drop of 30mm fit Esprit springs or 35mm fit Sport springs. If you like elegance ride fit classic/elegance dampers if you want lower,tuned but with the same damping as classic then fit esprit dampers as well, if you want the whole sports set up fit sport springs and dampers. Ithink sport springs are about £25 each!

Agree - and would like to go OEM, but is this definitely do-able without changing anything else with the suspension set up ? I doubt a dealer would do it, so I'd need the correct part no's for sport springs for my estate, confirmation that nothing else needed to change, and somebody willing to do the job !

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom