C200k cam pully damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Canski

Car
2005 C200 Avantgarde
Hi all,

I'm new to this site and know as much about cars as I know about nuclear reactors.. next to nothing.

Anyway 8 years ago I opted for a new merc c200k petrol as I
wanted a quality car that would last. I loved it from the start and have had a few problems along the way ( reconditioned gearbox that is still not working properly and sticks in a high gear occasionally) but none as bad as this one.

About 6 weeks ago the car was behaving badly from starting but I delivered my guests to their destination then the car started to run very unevenly and felt like it was firing on 2 cylinders so I took it to my regular garage for a check up.

After a week they diagnosed the problem and called me in to have a look. The cogs on the end of the camshaft were very worn and they showed me the slack chain. They said that there could be damage to the valves and if this was the case the repair bill could be over a thousand pounds. I considered this and had no option but to ask them to carry out the work. 5 weeks later yes FIVE weeks and after much nagging they called me to say that they had repaired the car but were not quite happy with the end result. I took it for a test drive and although the car was rocking on tickover when I was driving it it seemed fine. They said that they had only changed one cam pully to try to save me money but thought that the other one would need changing at an extra cost of £620 for the part and 2 hours labour which made an extra £710 to the already £2000 ish bill. I was gobsmacked and even more so when they told me that they were unsure if the new pully would solve the uneven running at tickover and that despite the huge bill that they hadn't taken the head off at this point. I am unsure what to do next it seems that my options are :-

1) carry on and have the other worn cam pully changed at an extra cost of £710
2) Leave it as it is and run it on with the annoying rocking at tickover
3) Scrap it and cut my losses.
4) Take it to a main dealer for a check up and see if they can quote for a proper repair

I feel that I have been misled and overcharged and I am very disappointed that the car runs worse now than before the major breakdown and subsequent repair.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Get the compressions tested.

These engines suffer from worn timing chains and valve guides dropping out.

its a common issue with this engine , you need to get it checked for damaged vavles ,
a compression test would be my frist call also .
i feel your pain , i had a similar nightmare with these engines

Did they change the chain?

I'm still waiting for a list of the parts fitted to date. I asked about the valves and they said that it has compression as it starts up ! Is a compression test something that any garage can do or is it a main dealer issue. Thanks for replies to date.

It can be pseudo performed using Mercedes diagnostic equipment, STAR, or by the old fashioned method of a compression tester, which any garage, and many DIY users, will have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom