C200k - is the M111 1998cc engine better than the 1796cc ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ekko Star

I'm just about to buy a 2001 C200k estate.

It comes with the supercharged 2.0L M111 engine and is not the newer 1796cc supercharged variant.

I'm a bit confused as to which is the better engine as I understand the newer one is a Mitsubishi sourced one ?

Is there anything wrong with the M111 ? Was it a problematic engine or something ? Should I go for the newer one ?

Is there anything wrong with the M111 ? Was it a problematic engine or something ? Should I go for the newer one ?
There is nothing wrong with the M111 engine AFAIK, it's an older engine dating back to the late 80s or something. They're pretty strong and the kompressor ones are reinforced to handle the extra work.

You might find that the newer ones have an automatic oil-level dipstick and that they are better for fuel economy, also perhaps a bit more powerful for the capacity.

Well the cars done 110k now and it runs like a dream. Pretty nippy considering. I'm not that concerned about the mileage as the right engine can go on forever and it's got full dealer history behind it. Been well looked after and single owner from new.

So is the 2.0L Kompressor a tough old unit then ? I take it that was MB's own unit ? Or is the Mitsubishi one more reliable or something ?

So is the 2.0L Kompressor a tough old unit then ? I take it that was MB's own unit ? Or is the Mitsubishi one more reliable or something ?
The M111 is an in-house engine, the later engine is apparently shared with Mitsubishi but this probably isn't a bad thing, the 2 litre, 4-cylinder mitsubishi engines might be found with big turbos attached in Evos pushing at least 300bhp :) .

Some might say that the ones that end up in C200s are having an easy life in comparison :)

m111 engine has a few common faults be sure to check these:
oil in the harness, leaking from the camshaft adjuster, oil in the ECU there is a simple fix its an extenstion on the cable from the camshaft adjuster and fixes between the wiring stoppig the flow of oil. apart from that its a good engine

oil in the harness, leaking from the camshaft adjuster, oil in the ECU there is a simple fix its an extenstion on the cable from the camshaft adjuster and fixes between the wiring stoppig the flow of oil. apart from that its a good engine

Any pictures or threads showing where and how to look for these things ?

Last edited:
Here are some of the advances of the M271 ENGINE not necessarily related to power but to refinement and possibly emissions.
In mid-2002, Mercedes introduced a new 4-cylinder engine family to replace the existing four-cylinders. The M271 family is a clean-sheet design. It has various new features to improve efficiency and refinement . First of all, there is twin-balancer shafts to eliminate the inherent vibration of inline 4-cylinder engines. Secondly, the cylinder head now employs variable valve timing at both intake and exhaust side. Thirdly, roller cam followers and hydraulic lifters are used to reduce friction and noise. Fourthly, all M271 engines have a more efficient supercharger and intercooler than the old one. Reduced clearance between the supercharger housing and compression roller reduces gas leakage thus the small supercharger can produce higher boost pressure. Lastly, by using smaller supercharger, reduced capacity to 1.8-litres (from 2.0 or 2.3-litre) and an aluminum crank case, the engine is smaller and lighter. For example, the engine for C200 Kompressor weighs 167kg, some 18kg lighter than the old 2.0-litre unit which produced the same power.

oil in the harness, leaking from the camshaft adjuster, oil in the ECU

Thanks for the advice. It wa extremely useful today !

The car's engine fault light was lit. I was quite alarmed and it put me off the car straight away. Can't believe some folk try to flog their cars and try to tell you some rubbish about the history and what they think the light meant :rolleyes:

Anyway quick check under the bonnet, I unplugged the switch at the camshaft adjuster and it was dripping with oil inside. I figured the oil must have travelled up and damaged the sensor along the way and was why the engine light was lit.

Considering I was quoted at least £800 to get the loom and all this fixed I made my exit in hasty fashion.

These forums are great, thanks for your help :)

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']To be honest it’s not as bad as you might think the fact the car is still running means that the ECU is not damaged. The loom is £200 and the extra harness is £12 you will need a new lambda sensor £80 camshaft adjuster and magnet £30ish and a can of brake cleaner to clean the other contact point the harness attaches to. also some electrical contact cleaner to flood the ecu and flush any oil/oil residue. it can be done in about 4 hours tops and will be as good as new. the light can easily be cleared as the fault will no doubt be the upstream lambda sensor as it would be full of oil causing it to fail, it can be cleaned but is a short lived fix. if the car was cheap enough or you got a hefty discount because of this it might still be a good buy at the worst case it will cost you 1k but DIY will be well under £350-400. And im talking from experience and a lighter wallet. hope this helps put some perspective on the issue[/FONT]

Do these faults also apply to the 2ltr non turbo/supercharged engine fitted in my W203 2001 estate. eng no 111951.

Do these faults also apply to the 2ltr non turbo/supercharged engine fitted in my W203 2001 estate. eng no 111951.

yep it does affect your engine, done a few 111951's so check the camshaft acctuator and connections and see if they have oil in them. better sooner than later as the problems can extend to:
ECU - loads of money
MAF - again loads of money
lambda sensor
crankshaft sensor
mot valve/sensor
emmisions valve/sensor
temperature sensor
and a few other parts.
this can all be avoided if the £12 extenstion is added, but if the loom and all the points shown signs of oil its best to get it replaced washing the loom is a short term solution, but if and when the wire corrodes and breaks down it will lead to more problems/faults and hassle. i have changed miane and a few other and not have had any problems since. if you need any more help or advise just drop me a line.

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']if the car was cheap enough or you got a hefty discount because of this it might still be a good buy at the worst case it will cost you 1k but DIY will be well under £350-400. And im talking from experience and a lighter wallet. hope this helps put some perspective on the issue[/FONT]

I spoke to my indie on the phone whilst I was there and he said it would cost me £800. Advised me to walk away from the deal.

It didn't help that the buyer didn't know much about the history of his vehicle, the whole episode yesterday was full of inconsistent "story telling" so the engine light was just one thing. The seller claimed the light came on to indicate a service was due ?!?!?!

Also if someone says it's a non smoked in car, then you don't expect to find ash in the ash tray and smoke discolouring on the lining.....

I was quite happy to walk away, thank G :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help though :)

no problems, sounds like you found a rouge seller! good you walked away to spend your money another day. engine light=sevice i would be bankrupt if that was true!

Yes, he tried all the classic things, made out he was in a hurry and didn't have much time to spend with me, had to go to a meeting etc etc

In actual fact I think he was a dealer trying to flog a dead horse privately.

I took off the switch at the cam adjuster and showed him the oil and explained it was that probably that which was causing the engine lgiht.

Within 2 minutes he was off in his other car. Within a minute after that his wife shot off in her car. Quite comical really, I was left standing in there courtyard while they both scarpered like flies.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people are......:especially when they get rumbled. :(

These forums are great, some excellent knowledge that proves invaluable from true enthusiasts. :)

i do not know about sourced mitsubishi, maybe shared but all M271's are built in germany

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom