C200K W203 - Supercharger Noises?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martin

Car
C200K Avantgarde, MINI One & Classic Mini
2000 X Reg C200K Petrol W203 110,000 miles
I have noticed when the engine is at running temperature a rattlely/tappet type of noise from the LH side - supercharger side of engine, I can only hear it outside the car or with the bonnet open.............my local independent garage say they need to remove some items to gain access and try to narrow down where its coming from.
Runs fine otherwise and noise is not noticeable at start up when engine is cold.
Any ideas, did a search but the superchargers seem pretty reliable to high mileages?
If it was the superchager should it be replaced.............I can't find anywhere that does re-con units, surprising considering how common Kompressor Mercs are?
Thanks for any help or advice.

I dont know how reliable the k engine is but there is always superchargers for sale on e bay and they are always being bid on.

Does the supercharger have its own oil and is the level correct?

Lynall

The SC does have oil.

Are you sure its not the inlet cam adjuster rattling? Does it do it when you rev it lightly?

Use a stethescope or long screwdriver against your ear to locate the noise.

Use a stethescope or long screwdriver against your ear to locate the noise.

OK, thanks, now done that. It seems to be a steady clatter/rumble from the Supercharger area louder when hot. Clearly heard when resting screwdriver on the alloy castings but not loud enough to hear inside the car.
When you rev the car lightly there is a loud rasping type noise which I had not noticed before coming from the inlet cam adjuster area at the right front of the red/silver cam cover. I can see the cam adjuster housing. This noise only occurs briefly as you pass through 1500 RPM and then again briefly when you release the throttle and the revs start to descend down. Is this the cam adjuster operating?

I have since looked into buying a secondhand replacement supercharger but only 3 month guarantee at best and will it be any better than mine in long term........a new kompressor from MB is £1155 inc vat plus fitting. Supercharger life is estimated at 100-125k miles on average it seems.

Also noticed the suspected cam adjuster noise does not happen at 1500rpm or at all when the engine is cold.

There is a how to somewhere on repairing the supercharger, search on here or mercedesbenz owners forum.

Lynall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom