c200k wont start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pulledup

Hi, Ive a 03 reg c200 kompressor auto. After driving all day yesterday I stopped to get out of the car for about 1 minute to go to a bank machine. When I got back into the car and turned the key the car would not start. I tried turning the key again and again nothing happened. No noise, no clicks just nothing.

I got out of the car, closed it with the fob and then reopened and tried it again with the same result. When I turn the key to position 1 everything is ok but when I turn it to position 2 one of two things happen. Sometimes the mileage screen goes blank and there is a clicking noise and the SRS light on the centre console comes on and off with the clicks (this is before I try to start). Or sometimes all all the dash lights come on and everything seems normal then why a try to start the mileage screen again goes blank and there is no noise. Sometimes I get a quick flash of a couple of errors. One is "srs failure" or something similar and the other says something like "brake fluid leak". I checked the brake fluid reservoir and it is fine. When I take the key out and try again then it says no malfunction.

I thought it was maybe the battery but I tried to start it today with a set of jump leads and that made no difference. Same thing happening. Turn the key to start and just nothing.

Any ideas what could be the problem ?Starter, solenoid, relay, fuse maybe or something worse like the engine management system or some sort of electrical failure . Just seems as if the car wont allow itself to start.

I'm really worried and hope someone could shed some light on the matter. Many thanks to anyone who can help.

it could be the battery is straight dead... have you tried another battery... other than that your best bet is to have it brought to a place who was a diagnostic to read the error codes..

How long have you owned it and how long has it been showing these symptons?

I've had the car for about 2 months and it had given no problems at all until that happened all of a sudden.

Hi and welcome,

Firstly don't jump start it with leads from another car. It can cause damage.

have you checked all the fuses? Start with the basics first.

If it still won't start it needs to be plugged into a Star diagnostic machine.

bet you a£10 its the battery
Charlie2, I 'd take that bet and be happy to pay it out LOL if you're right and that's all it is.

Going to take it to a garage in the morning and get battery tested. Strange I had driven it for miles the other day for battery just to pack in like that which could mean possibly alternator is faulty. Never made a peep when I tried to jump start it so that shows maybe gone battery/alternator problem.

Called out the car spark and he tried to jump it with a heavy duty battery and cables.
Hey Presto ! She started ok. So drove it to his garage to take more readings and he said alternator was ok. Switched it off and again no life so it was clear then it was indeed just the battery.

When he removed the old battery (which had been in the car from day 1) there was hardly a drop if liquid in it. Little wonder it was dead. So everything ok again I'm glad to say.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Glad you are mobile again.

Thanks for the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom