C203 Audio 10 to Command

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamesfuller

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C240 Elegance & S210 E320 CDi Avantgarde
The car is a W203 240 Elegance. Auto corrected to C203 for some reason. I have an Audio 10 cassette player and was wondering if I could fit a command unit in its place as they seem to be available second hand for not much money. I realise I would need to sort some sort of GPS aeriel, but other than the navigation, is it plug and play?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-22-21-54-22-065.jpeg
    Screenshot_2020-09-22-21-54-22-065.jpeg
    279.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
For what it would cost to swap from Audio 10 to the rather antiquated Comand system I suspect you'd get far better VFM looking to swap to a more modern after market unit which would retain things like steering wheel controls but give far better satnav, bluetooth etc. Suggest you contact comand.co.uk with your VIN and ask them what is possible with something like a pioneer unit, or research on here about replacing your audio 10 with a (probably Chinese) Android unit.

FYI, I have Comand NTG2.5 in my SLK, the last map updates that MB will ever issue are 2019. Equally my early S204 has NTG4 where the original HDD nav partition was too small for updates beyond 2014-15, Comand.co.uk replaced the HDD so I now have 2018-19 maps and can update further, but it cost me £500.

The car is a W203 240 Elegance. Auto corrected to C203 for some reason. I have an Audio 10 cassette player and was wondering if I could fit a command unit in its place as they seem to be available second hand for not much money. I realise I would need to sort some sort of GPS aeriel, but other than the navigation, is it plug and play?

It’s not quite plug and play but it is a very straightforward swap. You will need a small loom converter.

Thanks for the responses. I know it seems like maybe an odd choice.
I don't want to use a non mercedes radio. I don't need the features, the radio and cassette is actually fine for me.
Im just thinking that as it's a nice car with an otherwise very decent spec it would be nice to have the command system.

I have to get the car in the body shop and do some other stuff first but I am looking forward to adding this. I will do a thread on the car soon. Cheers.

It seems to me that you will be retrofitting COMAND for all the right reasons.... you prefer originally over functionality, and obviously for completeness. I am with you on this one.

Thanks for the responses. I know it seems like maybe an odd choice.
I don't want to use a non mercedes radio. I don't need the features, the radio and cassette is actually fine for me.
Im just thinking that as it's a nice car with an otherwise very decent spec it would be nice to have the command system.

I have to get the car in the body shop and do some other stuff first but I am looking forward to adding this. I will do a thread on the car soon. Cheers.

I have done this and quickly went for an OEM look Android unit as the COMAND was just too antiquated.
The android unit was plug and play with the provided cables too.

If you want a CD fit an Audio10 with CD.
What is it you want from the COMAND?

COMAND 2.0

31997401807_319a1fb467_c.jpg

Android

45554901721_36ff4221c7_c.jpg

What I want is radio 2. That has to work.

Other than that, I've got a 19 year old car with heated memory seats for both front seats, electric steering adjustment, auto lights, auto dimming mirrors, power folding mirrors, one touch sunroof and windows.
It seems a bit weird to get in my old car, fire up the smooth V6 and have my seat and steering wheel move into my favourite place and then look down to find my Phil Collins cassette. (Don't worry I have it on CD aswel)

I did this many years ago from audio 10CD to Comand on our CLK. As Alfie says it just needs a loom adapter. The system is very basic and mapping is no longer being updated. However it works pretty well and looks good. We also noticed a significant improvement in sound quality compared to the Audio 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom