C203K exhaust manifold problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

charliewade

Car
2003 C200k Coupe
Hi everyone just joined ive a 2001 C230 Kompessor which is making a rasping noise sounds like the exhaust is blowing ive got under neath and none of the joints in the pipework under the body are blowing, when its cold it sounds loud then goes quieter at idle its not to bad but driving it sounds rubbish like ive a hole in the exhaust, ive had a quick look under the bonnet and cant see any obvious signs of a blow at the manifold to head my questions are these
are there exhaust seals from the manifold to downpipes that could have gone?
are the M111 prone to cracked manifolds
and does anyone have a guide to getting the manifolds out as it looks like I have to remove the supercharger to get to the front nuts :( any help much appreciated :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Well using the help i got from you guys on here :dk::dk: i swapped the manifolds and renewed the gaskets and its fixed now and yes you do need to remove the supercharger

Good man. I've got the exact same problem (only saw you thread now). Wasn't too concerned as I can get it welded even if stainless but didn't know if the S/c had to be removed, so thanks for the heads up.

BTW, check for fault codes very possible you'll have one as the o2 sensor would have been reading the extra air drawn in from the cracked manifold. I'd disconnect the battery also for 30 mins or so and allow the ECU to start re calibrating, think it takes about 200 miles.

I had the same prob years ago.sc out to get access to nuts

Hi everyone thanks for getting back i read the post Whitney just wasnt sure to what extent i needed to strip engine, but reading more post seems these 230k on cold start divert air from the supercharger into the exhaust to warm up cat quicker so mine although is quieter still sounds likes it blowing on cold start and well there a lesson to learn here i did the hard way but hey i love taking things apart ;) did consider taking out the supercharger baffle to get that turbine whine lol

Hi everyone thanks for getting back i read the post Whitney just wasnt sure to what extent i needed to strip engine, but reading more post seems these 230k on cold start divert air from the supercharger into the exhaust to warm up cat quicker so mine although is quieter still sounds likes it blowing on cold start and well there a lesson to learn here i did the hard way but hey i love taking things apart ;) did consider taking out the supercharger baffle to get that turbine whine lol

Are you sure about that? I suspect that's only for the likes of U.S. cars were their emissions regulations are different/stricter than the Euro version.

No uk cars have it as well the is a little valve runs of vacum on cold start up for a set time

Ade

I never noticed any connection between the S/c and the exhaust actually I'm fairly sure on my car it isn't there? Hands up, I have to admit I've stripped anything yet in that area, so maybe...doubting JJJ.

Hiya think it applies to the later 230k engines mines a 2001 model which doesn't have the clutch on the supercharger pulley, hope that helps apparently theres a flap inside the air trunking on top of the supercharger that diverts the air on cold start :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom