C204 180 Kompressor 2009 Timing Fault

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jackg1995

Car
C180 kompressor
Hi just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or advise for me, my girlfriends car broke down a few weeks ago had it took to a local garage and was told the timing chain needing replacing, at the time the car would start but was making all sorts of noises, the diagnostic showed camshaft sensor fault. Had the car fixed paid 1300 for parts and labour, got the car back was working fine for a day then had started making noises again, took the car back to the garage he told me he checked his work everything was fine car didn’t make any noises for a few days then car completely broke down wouldn’t start at all. Had the car diagnosed again and same camshaft sensor fault is showing. Spoke to the garage they have told me it has nothing to do with the work he has done it is some kind of oil problem, I’m just wondering does anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be? Got into a bit of an argument with the garage as we thought the car would be fixed as he was the one who diagnosed and told us we needed the timing doing, he’s adamant his work is correct and is now telling us engine needs to come out and be stripped, any help would be great thanks.

Difficult to say. The timing gear on the M271 engine is indeed prone to premature failure. Which is what I assume happened the first time. And replacing the timing gear (camshaft sprocket wheels, timing chain, guide and tensioner) is the correct remedy, also the cost of £1,300 parts-and-labour is very reasonable.

Why it happened again, I don't know... assuming that (a) all of the above parts were replaced, and (b) none of the newly-installed parts failed, then the garage can't really be blamed

Of course, if old parts were reused (e.g. the old sprocket wheels), or if one of the new parts failed (e.g. tensioner or chain etc), then the fault should be fixed under warranty.

But it is important to establish first what went wrong this time, I.e. if it is the timing gear that failed again.

As for the camshaft position sensor fault cide... this could be a symptom rather than a cause, e.g. the timing is out and as result the ECU is receiving implausible data from the sensor.

Also, if you drive the car with the chain slipped a tooth or two, severe engine damage can result (pistons hitting the valves). If that happened, a new or secondhand engine will be needed, because the cost of replacing 4 or 8 new valves, 1 or 2 new pistons, and possibly also conrods will make the repair uneconomical. Luckily, you seem to have avoided it when the car first failed, hopefully it didn't happen this time either.

...but double-check that all timing gear parts were replaced as per my list above, and not just the timing chain (given the price, I would say that all of the old parts were replaced). If a newly-replaced part failed, then this is something that the garage will need to sort-out with their parts supplier.

...but double-check that all timing gear parts were replaced as per my list above, and not just the timing chain (given the price, I would say that all of the old parts were replaced). If a newly-replaced part failed, then this is something that the garage will need to sort-out with their parts supplier.

Thanks a lot for replying, I think my best option is to get a different garage to have a look at the timing gear to see if it is the new parts that have failed, if it is a different problem, I think a second hand engine is more than likely going to be the cheapest option rather than stripping the engine to find the problem then having to replace the parts you’ve mentioned. Just another quick question what else do you think could be causing the car to jump out of time if obviously the new parts have all been fitted correctly, and if the car was out of time when I was given it back would I notice it right away or would the symptoms worsen? Thanks again.

Normally when the chain stretches u get timing faults or if the camshaft adjuster is defective as is actuated by oil pressure. As suggested I would make sure with the garage that everything was replaced not just the chain as if the adjuster is still defective then u will need to change this and then re time the engine correctly

...Just another quick question what else do you think could be causing the car to jump out of time if obviously the new parts have all been fitted correctly, and if the car was out of time when I was given it back would I notice it right away or would the symptoms worsen?

This:

Ask them to show invoices for the parts they used, there is a chance they replaced the chain , but not the sprockets which teeth wear prematurely

And this:

Normally when the chain stretches u get timing faults or if the camshaft adjuster is defective as is actuated by oil pressure. As suggested I would make sure with the garage that everything was replaced not just the chain as if the adjuster is still defective then u will need to change this and then re time the engine correctly

... if it is a different problem, I think a second hand engine is more than likely going to be the cheapest option rather than stripping the engine to find the problem then having to replace the parts you’ve mentioned....

If you do end-up getting a second hand engine.... have the timing gear changed as a precaution... or you risk having the same problem all over again. As said, this is a very common issue with the M271 engine. You can get modified (hardened) sprockets, but even if you use original ones, they will still be good for a number of years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom