C204 poor quality AMG wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveuniq

Car
2011 C180 Sport
Two weeks ago I picked up my new C class Sport (2011 registed vehicle) with the standard 17" AMG wheels. I got around to detailing it this weekend, and with less than 200 miles on the clock, the wheel inners were in a terrible condition.

There is a rough overspray type texture, and some old sticky foam from previously positioned weights that had been sprayed silver. I attempted to clay one inner, and even had a quick try with wet sanding, but to no avail, so I will be taking it back next week. Inspecting the faces of the wheels in more detail they too have a poor finish in the wheel nut recesses and spokes on two of the wheels have runs in the paint.

Is this the standard of finish of these wheels or have, as I suspect, they been resprayed because of damage at some point in delivery? I also have a Passat which I have had since new, and the standard of finish on the wheels on that put the Merc rims to shame.

Are mine particulary bad or is this just the standard of finish? Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated before I approach the dealer next week.

Here is a pic just to clarify the style of wheels.

DSCN0219.jpg

By the way, the above photo is prior to the detail, I have not uploaded the photos since, but will do shortly.

I have the same wheels, the problem with them is that the lacquer around the centres becomes porous and water gets in. The wheels on my W211 E class suffered the same. Mercedes offered 50% contribution to replacement of mine which I've rejected as I'd rather get them refinished for less cost than I'd have to pay for another set of the same, and I'd like to move to 18s anyway. So for me I'm going to put up with it until after next winter when I'll have these repainted in a black or dark grey finish and get a set of 18s or 19s for summer.

edit: it sounds like yours have been sprayed already - they should be a polished/lacquered finish.

Last edited:
Are the wheels you have just silver? as they don't look like the factory ones which have a polished face?

Overspray over the weight foam ?

Been refurbed for sure.

So the car is brand new or a secondhand vehicle ?

I would hazzard a guess that they haven't been refurbed but rather covered up badly by a chips away type outfit.

Most definitely not acceptable on a new car - dare I say it, verging on fraudulent.

the face should be diamond cut which will give it a different finish. They have definately been either changed or resprayed. Cgeck your car from factory spec as it may have came with 18" and someone along the line will have swapped them out as part of another deal!!

Here are the close up pictures of some of the areas of poor finish.

DSCN0233.jpg

DSCN0234.jpg

DSCN0235.jpg

DSCN0232.jpg

And this was the inside of one of the rear wheels. Again, bear in mind this is a brand new vehicle, less than 200 miles on the clock at this point.

DSCN0239.jpg

I have treated them with GTechniq C5 anyway, as I am not sure how long it will take to get this resolved, if ever, but I would usually also treat the inners also but it is not worth it on these.

They're terrible. I'd go to town with the dealers on that one, incredibly poor finish and obviously have been messed about with post factory; not even MB make them that bad!

Looking back at the pics, there is even overspray on the valve. I did not notice that before.

Thanks for your comments, I will speak with the dealer tomorrow, and will let you kn ow the outcome.

Out of interest, what dealer is the car from?

Brake dust, foam, tyre mounting gloop, poor finish… It looks like you could be in the middle of a switcheroo someone is pulling, is the car NEW? I would go directly to MB UK for there response. You may have to prove that you didn’t make the swap! MB should also be able to tell you the serial numbers of the wheels fitted at the factory! This should be recorded for recall/claim reasons.
I would put every thing in writing, keep records, and good luck, and let us know the results.

definately been sprayed. Get them back to the dealer and make a big fuss. Threaten to let MB know as I bet this has been swapped about without their knowledge.

As above... looking at the inside of the wheel... no way you would get that much brake dust in 200 miles... and on a rear wheel! :eek:

OK, quick update.

Back to the dealer today, and after an inspection by a technician, the service department are in agreement that the wheels are poor quality and maybe not even the original wheels, but need to find out when in the delivery process the wheels may have been changed/resprayed to locate who they will bill or claim against.

The sales guy I have been dealing with has also agreed that they are not of a standard befitting a brand new car, and he is pushing from his end to help as well.

Apart from the problem with the wheels themselves, I have to thank the dealership as they have been very good through the purchasing of the vehicle and were extremely helpful and prompt today, so I am hoping for this to be resolved within a reasonable timescale.

Just waiting for the call they have promised tomorrow to keep me updated.

Another update.

Had a call this morning as promised from the Aftersales Manager who agreed to look into it and for me to visit the dealer to have photos taken of the wheels.

An hour later I had another call from the service department who said no need to come in, already in hand as they had been inspected yesterday, and they will call me when the new wheels arrive to make an appointment to swap them over.

Great service so far from the dealer (apart from the problem with the wheels of course).

Have your brake disks been swapped too?

From what I can see in your picture the wear marks seem a little odd for only 200 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom