C207 - Rattle on all 4 wheels - parking brake?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fabes

MB Enthusiast
Car
E 400 Coupe and X-Trail
During the summer I noticed a small rattle / tinkle coming from all four wheels / wheel areas when going over bumpy / crappy roads

With the windows up you cant hear it, but down, you cannot unhear it

Research indicates is the parking brake assembly.
It isn't performance issue but will take 1 to 2 hours of garage time to tighten / fix

Anyone else come across this?

PS nothing on STAR and the car just had a full B2 with nothing picked up - I forgot to mention it on the day

We've been getting a slight metallic rattle from the front offside thats intermittent. Its been on a ramp to check suspension bushes etc and all seemed fine with a pry bar. I'm current wondering if its a heat shield and that it only rattles when warm.

I've had rattles on previous cars and it was the brake pads rattling in the calipers. You can test for this by lightly touching your footbrake whilst the noise is apparent. If it goes away when you press, you'll know where the noise is coming from.

The cure ? Take the pads out, clean the caliper and pad springs and re-fit using copper grease on the metal to metal joins. Dead easy to do.

Agree re checking pads/springs. Having said that, a little unusual if it can be heard from all 4 wheels, and that would also tend to rule out the parking brake?Wheel centre caps, loose or broken clips?

Hi,

I had a rattle from my car until recently. It was difficult to identify where it was coming from. It was most noticeable when I went over speed bumps but it also happened over potholes, etc.

I found myself deliberately going slowly over speed bumps with the window open to identify if the noise was from the front or the back.
I eventually narrowed it down to probably coming from the rear.
I had the car up on ramp for a different job and checked the exhaust mounts, heat shields, etc to see if they were loose -- but found nothing.

One day I put my foot on the parking brake to put a slight tension on the parking brakes as I drove over a speed bump. The dashboard warning came on but the rattle was gone.

I bought new parking brake shoes convinced that one of the springs had broken. I took off the rear disks to check the parking brake and everything looked fine.

I then adjusted the parking brakes at each rear wheel which reduced the travel of the pedal a lot and the rattle was gone.
All good since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom