C207 Seat release handle chrome peeling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BMAY529

Car
MB E250 Coupe
The chrome plating has started to peel on the seat release handle of my C207 E class 250 coupe 2015. Is this a known or common problem covered by warranty? The reason I ask is that I previously had a C207 2010 that had the same problem and MB replaced it without charge. Love the car for comfort, performance, economy, pano roof, etc., as can be seen in the fact I bought a second but surprised at MB quality control even after 5 years

Both seat release handles on my 2014 A207 are perfect. That doesn't help you but, as you say, it would be interesting to see if it is a common issue.

Yeah, it’s common. The bright chrome fail quite regularly. I’ve yet to replace one with the satin chrome. To do the job properly is a bit of a strip out. I’ve seen ones done at the dealer where they have nicked a hole in the cloth in the headrest recess to access one screw that holds the handle on rather than stripping the cover out the way (which is more time consuming). You don’t notice the cut unless you are looking for it. Naturally I don’t do the job like that ;)

Yeah, it’s common. The bright chrome fail quite regularly. I’ve yet to replace one with the satin chrome. To do the job properly is a bit of a strip out. I’ve seen ones done at the dealer where they have nicked a hole in the cloth in the headrest recess to access one screw that holds the handle on rather than stripping the cover out the way (which is more time consuming). You don’t notice the cut unless you are looking for it. Naturally I don’t do the job like that ;)
I'm sure they still invoice for the full time allocated in WIS .

An update: I took my car to my local MB Dealer where I bought the car and outlined the problem. Their first response was to say the car was 5 years old and look up their price list for the cost of a repair. When pressed indicating this is a known problem readily identifiable on the internet and repaired on my last C207 they took photos and requested an out of warranty repair from MB. This was agreed after a few weeks and the offending seat release handle was replaced under warranty. Happy days and good service MB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom