C207 Uniroyal RainSport 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

McT

Car
2010 C207 E350
When i bought my car a few weeks ago i negotiated a deal on it as the tyres were mismatched, the wear pattern on the nearside front was odd and the rears weren't in great condition.

I used my local place in Edinburgh as always and ordered up a full set of 18" Uniroyal Rainsport 3s and had it booked to get the tracking/alignment checked.

Annoyingly on the Friday run home from work on the M74 i had a bit of a rumble and lifted off just before the rear decided to take on a mind of its own. I was lucky and was right by a slip so dived off down that to find the nearside rear deflated and smoking quite profusely. From the rumble starting to my stopping would've been no more than a half kilometre and this is what i was faced with! Despite being someone who does around 20k a year and have done that for a long time i have never, ever had anything like this happen to me.

full

Anyways, the four Uniroyals are on, the alignment is done and sorted and it is running considerably quieter and no longer pulling to the left. :cool:

Have the Rain sport 3s on my A207 and been happy with them.

What tyre was.it that deflated?

The old boy had a lucky escape as he was renewing for decent MPS3 .

photo0350-jpg.50300

Both fronts .

He wasn't alone with this experience as two others have posted .

post-57939-0-06756400-1369729439.jpg

8F640D90-FACD-4547-B336-F5819A50DECD_zpsd6pwkd40.jpg

Is this defect anything to do with straddling the large, square shaped speed bumps.

Is this defect anything to do with straddling the large, square shaped speed bumps.

Yes, and any brand of tyre can get that damage if you are unlucky.
I ruined an almost new Falken ZE914 tyre in the same way. The tyre fitter said he's seen plenty, almost all with the same cause..........straddling speed humps:wallbash:

I did not know that this was even a thing! Lesson learned.

This is why I try not to straddle speed humps.
Agreed, in fact I'll actually go out of my way to avoid speed bumps, sometimes by miles, and when I do come across some, I go very slowly over them, probably much to the annoyance of those behind, they call them traffic calmers
don't they? They don't bl00dy calm me down :rolleyes: in fact they get on me wick. :)

Another thing to be aware of (I'm sure you all are) is that under inflation kills tyre sidewalls. Unless you're on runflats.

Another thing to be aware of (I'm sure you all are) is that under inflation kills tyre sidewalls. Unless you're on runflats.
Under inflated runflats get damaged like this also and are the cause of cracked alloys. Some owners believe they don’t need to check pressures on run flats according to a great bmw technician I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom