C208 CLK200 No Petrol coming from tank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

karlefr

Car
w205
Hi,

I have a problem: a few weeks ago my CLK200 '98 manual cut out and wouldn't start again. 30 minutes later it starts no problem.
I can drive around 10 miles then it cuts out again and I have to wait around 30 minutes before the car starts.

MB garage said: that's the petrol pump. So I replaced it with a new one.

While replacing we noticed very little and then no petrol running out of the pipe coming from tank. When work was finished, she would not start. Checked the pipe again: no petrol coming out. Maybe the tank was empty, despite the needle saying nearly hal full. Filled in 10 liters of petrol and it started to flow out. Reconnected everything and the car would start and run about 10 miles before it cut out again.

Could it be, since there are two tanks, the flow is disrupted somewhere?
An airlock?? A hairline crack in the pipe, and air gets sucked in?

Also, a few month ago: whenever I filled it to the top there was a fierce smell and some petrol leaked out (I did not overfill!). After a few miles everything was fine again.

I am puzzled, the independent garage is puzzled :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Help is welcome!!!!!!!

An airlock would be a possibility.

When the engine stops, just open the petrol filler cap very slowly. If it suddenly gives a great whoosh you've got an airlock.

Then you'd probably need to check that the tank vent was not obstructed.

I had the problem some years ago in a Lotus Eclat. Totally foxed the RAC man (who'd also never seen twin sidedraught Dell'Ortos) until I just fiddled with the petrol cap.

Also, the early Austin Princess (the wedge shaped ADO71) suffered so badly it'd collapse the petrol tank from 12 gallons capacity to only 2 gallons!

Thanks NormanC,
I tried that a few times, but there is no swoosh whatsoever!

There is always a swoosh in my E200K 2001, but it drives without any problems.

I have the feeling there should be a swoosh in the CLK, but there isn't.
I drove her home tonight with the full tank and I am glad she didn't stop.

Possible your CPS crankshaft position sensor is faulty. Its internal contacts are broken when the engine heats up-- after the engine cools it works again. It will eventually fail completely. Its possible your tank vent is a red herring. However to test the tank ventilation run with the filler cap loose [ tank 1/2 full]. You may have contaminated the tank evaporative control charcoal filter when you overfilled the tank.

Possible your CPS crankshaft position sensor is faulty. Its internal contacts are broken when the engine heats up-- after the engine cools it works again. It will eventually fail completely. Its possible your tank vent is a red herring. However to test the tank ventilation run with the filler cap loose [ tank 1/2 full]. You may have contaminated the tank evaporative control charcoal filter when you overfilled the tank.

Yeah, that's in idea allright!
But shouldn't the sensor fault not show up when you do a fault reading? Or maybe it shows only up when it completely fails? The MB garage did check all the electrical bits at the time and said from the pump forward everything was fine!?
Thanks!

Just to let you know: I replaced the CPS and the car is running perfectly!

It wasn't the petrol problem I thought in the first place, there was a leaky pipe allright, but that didn't cure the problem.

The MB dealer wanted €160 for the sensor, but I got one from Germany for €49.70 including postage!

There is an English company as well, but they sent the wrong sensor, despite giving all the numbers, details etc. They do not have the software to check if it is the right sensor for the car when the car is registered outside of the UK (strange??)

MERCEDES A C CLK E S SL SLK Sprinter Crankshaft Sensor (180445498162)
(this one I had to return)

Impulsgeber Sensor Kurbelwelle Mercedes CDI 0031532728 (170460542291)

Thank's for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom