C209 CLK 2006 Snatching transmission 1st to 2nd gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longclose

Car
CLK 280 ragtop
Hi,

I recently bought a CLK which has only done 83K miles, it had the gearbox repaired about 1500 miles ago. It snatches terribly between 1st and second gear when pulling away. Just wondered if this is "normal" for this gearbox.. it is pretty bad so normal is that this is a known problem that you have to live with..

Bought it in October laid it up and never really drove it until today...

Hope you guys can help..

Is it the 5 or (as I suspect) the 7 speed gearbox?

What repairs where carried out? Is the fluid level correct?

Is it the 5 or (as I suspect) the 7 speed gearbox?

What repairs where carried out? Is the fluid level correct?

So the vehicle was recovered on the 30-12-2016 @69615 its just clocked 84000 now. The conductor plate was replaced on the 06-01 2017 so I guess this was the failure for it to be recovered. I would hope the fluid would not need changing after 15000 miles? So it has done 15000 miles since the repair my mistake. I see your near Salisbury, I am in North Dorset and would be happy to drive it to you to check it out?

Thoughts..? PS. Thanks for your prompt response!

So the vehicle was recovered on the 30-12-2016 @69615 its just clocked 84000 now. The conductor plate was replaced on the 06-01 2017 so I guess this was the failure for it to be recovered. I would hope the fluid would not need changing after 15000 miles? So it has done 15000 miles since the repair my mistake. I see your near Salisbury, I am in North Dorset and would be happy to drive it to you to check it out?

Thoughts..? PS. Thanks for your prompt response!

I am not a mechanic (although I can suggest a good and trustworthy independent between Salisbury and Ringwood if needed)

I did not say the fluid needed changing, I asked if the fluid level was correct?

The gearboxes can leak,, the 5 speed had a a large electrical plug that was prone to leaks, the 7 speed can also leak from any gearbox oil lines that may have been disturbed so start with the basics and ensure you have correct fluid levels.

Is the characteristic you describe better when the gearbox is full warmed up?

Ideally you need it plugged in to an MB Star so someone with expert knowledge can look at the solenoid values in the gearbox, they can sometimes be adapted for smoother changes.

We still need to determine if this is a 5g or 7g box . 5g can be clunky from first to second when cold , which mode is it being driven in 'S' or 'C' ?

We still need to determine if this is a 5g or 7g box . 5g can be clunky from first to second when cold , which mode is it being driven in 'S' or 'C' ?

99% its a 7 speed as it was manufactured in 12/05 its a 280 (3 liter) did not check if its was in sport or not. But even driving very gently it snatches from 1st to 2nd.. took it for around 8 miles which I know the box oil will only be warm not hot. Oil was replaced at the same time as the gearbox fix 15000 miles ago.

Appears to be a common problem.. 7G-tronic problem - Help first Merc. I have owned since 2004 which was a new C series manual (bad mistake with a footbrake.
Do not get the problem on the downshift only on the upshift ..it appears from feedback this box is a pile of sh*te. I would not expect this even if the oil is cold.

Am I expecting too much or is this something (my wife) is going to have to live with... the box is silky smooth through the rest of the gears.

99% its a 7 speed as it was manufactured in 12/05 its a 280 (3 liter) did not check if its was in sport or not. But even driving very gently it snatches from 1st to 2nd.. took it for around 8 miles which I know the box oil will only be warm not hot. Oil was replaced at the same time as the gearbox fix 15000 miles ago.

As has been asked twice though, is the oil LEVEL correct?, we are not asking about when it was last changed.

Low oils levels can cause odd behaviour and is the first thing to check before you can properly carry out any other checks, After that it will need investigating with Star to look at gearbox values etc.

I have the 7 speed gearbox in my E320 CDi and once warm it is very smooth, the only jerkiness is from second to first when the weather and therefore gearbox oil is very cold.

Definitely have to check the oil level, and get a code read done. If a fault code is present then you often get harsh changes as it uses default settings to change.

So from research I suspect its the conductor plate even though it was replaced on 15000 miles ago. Will check the oil level but going to buy a code reader first (iCarsoftMB 2.0 any thoughts) as the car previous to the repair had P2767 speed sensor issue from the print out I have. The conductor plate was replaced after this code was read four month previously to the the car being recovered.

I think its essential if your running these old cars to have a code reader as it is only economical to own one of these cars if you can fix it yourself as the bills could easily exceed the value of the car even at an indie. I have a Landrover discovery 3 and replace components rather than complete modules for a few quid. Luckily I am an instrument maker with machining and electronics experience to undertake the work and thank God for You Tube so we all do not have to reinvent the wheel!

As a matter of interest has anyone fixed the speed sensors on the 722.9 TCM themselves?

OK so bought an iCarsoft MB 2.0. and checked the oil. No faults current or historic logged in the transmission so guess its not the conductor plate. Maybe I am just used to the ZF 6 speed in my Disco 3 which is silky smooth.. any other thoughts? Did have MIL light appear a couple of days ago.. got the dreaded magnetic camshaft adjuster faults P0012 and P0022 at least its not the balance shaft! So need to fork out £100 and fit replacements and should be good to go!

If it has the seven speed box (fitted from 2005 onwards) this is not normal. Mine is silky smooth in all gears.

2008 CLK350

OK so bought an iCarsoft MB 2.0. and checked the oil. No faults current or historic logged in the transmission so guess its not the conductor plate. Maybe I am just used to the ZF 6 speed in my Disco 3 which is silky smooth.. any other thoughts? Did have MIL light appear a couple of days ago.. got the dreaded magnetic camshaft adjuster faults P0012 and P0022 at least its not the balance shaft! So need to fork out £100 and fit replacements and should be good to go!
Out of interest, how did you check the gear oil level in your car? Did you make a note of the colour and condition of the gear oil whilst checking the gear oil level?

I had this with my 5g e55k, a new Tc PWN Solenoid sorted it, its silky smooth hot and cold in all gears now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom