C209 CLK 320CDI Avantgarde - Tracking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

47yellow

Car
Mercedes CLK 320CDI Avantgarde
Hi All,

Only had my CLK for a couple of weeks. Took it for tracking at the weekend but she is still pulling hard left when driving along and type of road. I can aim her at the centre and I will end up in the ditch.

Any known issues with tracking on these, am I missing something?

Thanks

Robert

The car needs proper 4 wheel geometry check, the pull left is very common but can be solved by way of fitting camber correction bolts to the front control arms. Tony Bones at Wheels in Motion is the head Guru for chassis alignment.

Hi All,

Only had my CLK for a couple of weeks. Took it for tracking at the weekend but she is still pulling hard left when driving along and type of road. I can aim her at the centre and I will end up in the ditch.

Thanks

Robert

Had some issues on mine...did they show you camber results or say anything about...could be bent shock like I had ..one place advised a camber bolt kit to sort but Olly at PCS and Denmead Tyres said not always successful and saw shock out by couple of mills (confess to hitting low brick drainage culvert edge concealed in grass on apex of a bend when slight misjudged in speed and drifted a foot wider than should and couldn't see it so think that when happened...now far more careful and attuned!!

So try that..otherwise have all arms checked ,,, and then if not prob only likely that frame out..but unlikely unless had big impact.

Trickythemerc and Mrbottomend thank you for the hints and tips.

I see Wheels in Motion are only in St Neots not too far away from me. I will have to give them a call and get her booked in!

Trickythemerc and Mrbottomend thank you for the hints and tips.

I see Wheels in Motion are only in St Neots not too far away from me. I will have to give them a call and get her booked in!

Maybe get second opinion on the camber bolt thing. Definite put off it by Olly at PCS and the guy at denmead tyres...some tyre places more interested in flogging tyres and simple tracking than doing thorough investigation and fully understanding the geometry of the running gear...

Know these guys too far but maybe some recs around here for your area maybe for a good indy to take a thorough look at the set up and advise...told can go to expense/trouble of the camber bolt kit and it not work more often than not...

Not knocking the guys suggested. Am sure good and maybe thorough enough, but as say always get second is good advice I think.

All Best with it. Mine is running like a dream now after a steering arm, the new shocks, PZeros rear, Falkens front...much smoother than before, and though still stiff, a tad less like riding a bucking bronc on our appalling roads!

I've got her booked in with Parkham in Wellingborough on Wednesday. Going to fit my sport steering wheel and give her a good look over. I will add this camber bolt to the list

Thank you for the advice.

I've got her booked in with Parkham in Wellingborough on Wednesday. Going to fit my sport steering wheel and give her a good look over. I will add this camber bolt to the list

Thank you for the advice.

I am advising get check with second opinion on whether the camber bolts a really good idea...maybe other better ways to approach before trying something that is hit and miss.

By, way, when running true if can get Celtic remap. V Worthwhile if like a little extra for when safe to use!

Sorry I misunderstood.

Oh Celtic remap sounds interesting! What gains did you get from it?

Sorry I misunderstood.

Oh Celtic remap sounds interesting! What gains did you get from it?

That's ok! Happens with messaging and posting.

Not saying I KNOW camber bolts won't work!...just a couple of respected pros advised against, hence my advisory of caution..

Not saying don't, just look before leap maybe.

As for remap, done through Simon at Eco Tuning using Celtic ...imagine somewhere local-ish to you has a Celtic franchise...takes about 90 -120 mins only...no rolling road as inaccurate ane would have to do lots of separate measures at diff conditions then try to aggregate so almost pointless in time...you'll know it's there when neede!

£395,,gains 60bhp and I think 80 torques... all inside specs/tolerances of the engine/transmission/running gear and brakes as believe Celtic very responsible in not pushing too close to limits or beyond like some back street charlies! Be warned. Again advised by Olly that this best option on market at mo, and has on his E55 Special.......though I will change pads for better I think, an maybe new discs too as some wear and tear.

I had the excessive pulling to the left on my CLK320 cdi sport, took to wheel in motion (Chesham) and they added the camber bolts - no excessive pulling to left ever since and that was about 5/6 years ago.

I had the excessive pulling to the left on my CLK320 cdi sport, took to wheel in motion (Chesham) and they added the camber bolts - no excessive pulling to left ever since and that was about 5/6 years ago.

Could be great. The advice was doesn't work more often than does, but that leaves some that do obvs so glad yours sorted and hope OP gets too to enjoy the full pleasures of the ClK!

Hi All,

Thanks

Robert

P.S. People here demand pics! So I will!!

If wheels are confirmed pointing the correct way, maybe a brake pad or 2 sticking. Does one side's wheel feel significantly hotter than the other after braking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom